My First Tarantula! :D

A Simple Thief

Arachnopeon
I just got my first tarantula! I am so happy right now, I'm kind of squealing with delight. It's a Paraphysa scrofa or, according to the internet, Chilean Copper. Anyways, I'm not to sure about what I should do now because I think I started off our beautiful relationship on the wrong foot. Maybe I shouldn't have unceremoniously dumped it on the group of it's new home, but it's just kind of sitting there. Is this normal? Also, the guy at the pet store said it was going to molt soon and the book i have say to not feed it for a little bit after you put the tarantula in it's tank and I don't know what to do! SO, I could really us some advice. Any kind of advice would be appreciated.

A Simple Thief

Arachnopeon
I can't get any pictures now, my phone no work and my camera needs batteries. But it has coconut fiber flooring and a water dish. My dad said he would try to find me a piece of pbc piping and right now I think I made my tarantula depressed. It's kind of hanging from the ceiling right now like some kind of suicide threat. Kind of impressed by it's balls.

A Simple Thief

Arachnopeon
Thank you! :D It's very informative but I feel bad because I haven't gotten it a hide hole thing and then I also only have two inches of substrate. But I'm working on the pictures thing. But my computer is retarded and it's not letting me. Stupid technology.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
It's PVC piping. It stands for polyvinyl chloride.

Moving forward! Congrats from the deepest depths of my soul for the newest addition to your family!

You WILL be addicted to Ts, so from all of us: welcome to the hobby.
As such, there's a valuable take-home lesson for you and everyone else reading this: Do research before you get the T. You get one free pass with that :p

Again, grats!! Don't be afraid to use the search function before asking questions ;)

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
Grats on your first T! I started early last month, and I'm up to 12 right now; and have done tons of research! Welcome to this wonderful world of 8-legged friends!

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Congratulations on your new family member! They take a little while to settle down, so no worries. You say she is hanging from the ceiling, this is why it's important to have a lot of substrate. I think you know that now though, since you just mentioned she only has 2". As soon as you can, get her some more in there so if she falls she doesn't have as far to fall and is less likely to injure herself. You are on the right track coming here. Lots of good information. Good luck with her; it becomes an obsession :)

A Simple Thief

Arachnopeon
Thank you everyone. My tarantula made it though the night. I'm assuming that it wither crawled or fell down because it was just chilling in a corner. But I woke up this morning, saw my yet to be named or gendered tarantula, and I started to think how cool it would be to get the versicolor I saw at the shop and how maybe I should get a vertical tank for it. I mentally slapped my self then and had a little cry. WHY MUST YOU BE SO APPEALING TARANTULAS!

A Simple Thief

Arachnopeon
It's in a 5 and a half gallon tank I gave it a hidey-hole but it's still hanging on the wall. It must think it's an arboreal or something. I'm thinking of maybe getting some pictures when it finally does feed. Then I can just put them with the other pictures I can't put up. :p

rockrox1

Arachnosquire
just leave it for a while so that it can settle in its new found home...

welcome to the hobby!!! post some pics and get ready to buy more... hahaha

Josh Perry

Arachnosquire
When i first got my first T (G. rosea) about a year ago i did it to get over my fear of spiders. Little did i know that i had started an addiction. Originaly i was only allowed to have one T. But now i am up to 16 with intentions on stopping.
but IMO it is the most real statment i have heard on AB
"Tarantulas are like potato chips, you can't have just one." Stan Schultz
BTW if anyone knows who said that i would love to know and i will edit this post giving them credit for it.

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When i first got my first T (G. rosea) about a year ago i did it to get over my fear of spiders. Little did i know that i had started an addiction. Originaly i was only allowed to have one T. But now i am up to 16 with intentions on stopping.
I don't know who said this but IMO it is the most real statment i have heard on AB
"Tarantulas are like potato chips, you can't have just one."
BTW if anyone knows who said that i would love to know and i will edit this post giving them credit for it.
It was Stan Schultz aka Pikaia.

A Simple Thief

Arachnopeon
It's not a rosea it's a Chilean Copper. 2 different species yo. Oh hey your from the Czech Republic! My grandpa's from there! And thanks for the welcome. :)