My first T :)

Kruggar

Arachnobaron
So my wife has conceded to me owning a tarantula :D. Even though it wont be for quite a while I'm still looking into what one I'd like to have. I will only be getting the one, so I'd want it to be a species that I was really interested in.

I know that the best starting t's are Avics Grammastola and Brachypelma but they just aren't what I'm really looking for in a T. If however, there was a possibility of me getting more then 1 tarantula I would start with these.

Problem is I love the pokies, as everyone does :). I drool at the sight of them :). But I am aware how inappropriate they can be for someone unexperienced in owning tarantulas. As an alternative to getting a pokie, I've been looking at Heteroscodra maculata, also a beautiful creature. This species has always been one of my favourites. I'm not intimidated by them
and I'm not somebody who's gonna be stupid around them (holding wrong, bites etc.). Whenever i get into anything with this level of commitment i do my research before I get started so...

I just wanted some input and reassurance that this would be a good idea.
Thanks a million,
Kruggar

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So my wife has conceded to me owning a tarantula :D. Even though it wont be for quite a while I'm still looking into what one I'd like to have. I will only be getting the one, so I'd want it to be a species that I was really interested in.

I know that the best starting t's are Avics Grammastola and Brachypelma but they just aren't what I'm really looking for in a T. If however, there was a possibility of me getting more then 1 tarantula I would start with these.

Problem is I love the pokies, as everyone does :). I drool at the sight of them :). But I am aware how inappropriate they can be for someone unexperienced in owning tarantulas. As an alternative to getting a pokie, I've been looking at Heteroscodra maculata, also a beautiful creature. This species has always been one of my favourites. I'm not intimidated by them
and I'm not somebody who's gonna be stupid around them (holding wrong, bites etc.). Whenever i get into anything with this level of commitment i do my research before I get started so...

Thanks a million,
Kruggar
Why is H. mac an alternative? You do know they have more potent venom than pokies, right?

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If your going to get H mac I suggest to get a spiderling because spiderling in my exp of this species are more like a Avicularia then as they get old their attitube becomes more skittish and aggresive. At least for the time being that they are still small you can get experience from taking care of them before you work with an adult one

Kruggar

Arachnobaron
venom potency has nothing to do with my decision, regardless of the T I dont plan of ever getting bitten period. I've heard that they aren't nearly agressive/defensive as pokies? This that information wrong? if so then I'm game for a poecilotheria regalis or poecilotheria subfusca, as I've read that the metalica and ornata are more ... risky?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
venom potency has nothing to do with my decision, regardless of the T I dont plan of ever getting bitten period. I've heard that they aren't nearly agressive/defensive as pokies? This that information wrong? if so then I'm game for a poecilotheria regalis or poecilotheria subfusca, as I've read that the metalica and ornata are more ... risky?
Regardless of if you don't plan to get bit "ever", you have no control over that. I don't think anyone who has ever got bit planned it, and many probably said the same thing as you. I know I don't plan on it, but I'm not gonna say it will never happen period because I have no control over that. Even if you don't handle it, these are quick as lightning. So keep that in mind.

I believe H. mac may hide more than pokies. And I've always read the P. metallica are more docile than the others.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have an H. mac and a couple of pokies, and I wouldn't say the former is any easier to deal with than the latter. In fact, she's more skittish and EXTREMELY fast. I almost lost her while getting her out of the shipping container. My P. regalis (immature male) is much calmer, and my P. metallica is just skittish and shy. I treat them all with the same level of respect, because I know a bite from any of them would not be fun (nor do I want them to get loose and pose a deadly threat to my cats). However, none have shown me a threat pose or any other sort of defensive behavior. I've had a couple of other pokies, as well, and all any of them have done when scared is run and hide. My advice would be to get the spider you really want, be very careful, and all should be well. Maybe watch some YouTube videos to get an idea of just how fast OW arboreals can move. You've obviously been doing your research, which is the most important thing!

Alexandra V

Arachnosquire
I second the above. Choose a species that you truly love and try to get as much experience before you get one. Watch videos, talk to people who keep them, maybe see if you can sneak a peek at someone's collection and see how they go about maintenance with that species before you get one, ESPECIALLY if you want an old world with more potent venom. I'm not going to say you can't or shouldn't get one if that's what you like, but just be 100% ready for one before you get it.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Thanks a million,
Kruggar
Hey you fellow canadian,
P. regalis or P. ornata is fine, as is most pokies if you wish to start out that way.
Just be calm with what situation you come by with the critters, maybe get a sling/juvenile and grow with it, but adults shouldn't be much trouble either.

I fear hairs more then anything, and getting haired all the time may be a put off to you if you end up stuck with a prickly T'.
Fangs are prettier.

Imagine a giant fishing spider(D. tenebrosus), with a temper, and a wee bit faster... ;p

Kruggar

Arachnobaron
I fear hairs more then anything, and getting haired all the time may be a put off to you if you end up stuck with a prickly T'.
Fangs are prettier.

Imagine a giant fishing spider(D. tenebrosus), with a temper, and a wee bit faster... ;p
Lmao! yes I have had a D. tenebrous before, it was referred to as the poor man's pokie!
The hairs never seemed to bother me, but I haven't ever got them in the face/eyes, can't imagine that.

As for the Pokie, I was planning on a sling, that way we can grow together :D
so it shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't want to get a fully grown pokie delivered to me if I've never had a T before. thats silly!

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lmao! yes I have had a D. tenebrous before, it was referred to as the poor man's pokie!
The hairs never seemed to bother me, but I haven't ever got them in the face/eyes, can't imagine that.

As for the Pokie, I was planning on a sling, that way we can grow together :D
so it shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't want to get a fully grown pokie delivered to me if I've never had a T before. thats silly!
That's great you seem confident, I am sure you will do well

and to this, that's to each their own! i totally would have loooved that. lol