my first T. Blondi.. not eating.

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
howdy.

so i have always found this species to be interesting, so i had an opportunity to buy a sling, and i did!

it is 2.5 inches wide, rather large sling, however i have had it for just over a month now and it will not eat.

i know this is probably not much as my G. rosea i kept for 9 years would some times go 2 months between meals, however i was under the impression that T. blondi had a very large appetite. and i would assume a growing spider would need lots of food because you cant spontaneously generate mass.

my other slings are smaller then a finger nail but they eat like they are from chicago.

so far i have been keeping the T. Blondi in a very very humid environment as a blondi breeder told me the best way to keep this species is to think of them as a swamp species do to thier humidity requirement so they dont have trouble molting.

i have attempted to feed it pre-killed super worms and crickets as well as live food of the same things.

should i switch feeders?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hm, i don't have blondies, but i have an apophysis sling that is now 2nd instar (more than 1" across). the little bugger eats from time to time, but in over 2 months it hasn't molted into 3rd instar! so even genus theraphosa has its slow growers...

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't worry unless the abdomen starts shrinking.

Pre-moult, maybe?

I know blondis usually eat in premoult, but that is one explanation.