My first pokie

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought my first pokie today at the Columbus,Ohio reptile show.It's about a 4" Formosa.The guy told me he had it from the time it was a sling and said it was definately a female.I paid $50 for it.Was this a good deal.He also said that the Formosa is the most docile of the pokies.I know its super quick.I found that out when I tried to move it into its own place.Im kinda leary of the pokies as I heard Darrins account of his bite.Do you guys think that the formosa is that docile..thanks ...Rich

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i'm pretty sure it's "docile" for a pokie but for the love of God don't try handling her.

Risto

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think the P.regalis is more docile than the formosa. You definately want to respect it due to the fact that they have a nastier bite than some of the other pokes. The price you paid does sound like a real good deal for that size. Good luck:)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree, i think (at least in my view) the regalis is more docile than the formosa, but thats all relative.. we're talking some potent venom.

don't be led astray by the word "docile" -- I've handled a pokie once, but i wouldn't reccomend it unless you have your wits about you and you can respect the bite it can give.

they're amazing T's... beautiful!!! Enjoy it mate!
peace
dave

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

sounds like you did get a great deal for sure if its a female!

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good deal on the formosa, I figure that's about half you would pay for one online for a 4" female.

I have a formosa probably about the same size, they are beautiful but I wouldn't dare handle her. I think I worry more about its quickness and getting away from me than I do it's aggressiveness. I stick to holding my Avics.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats Rich. You'll love her, I have a regalis, she is more shy and skittish than aggressive. Just don't handle her and all will be fine.

Andy

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
formosa

thanks guy,no ,i had no intentions on handling her.i was just concerned about putting things into her house or removing old things.ive already seen her quickness.she is a beauty tho....rich

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i was thinking about buying my first pokie friday when i get paid, whats the best pokie to start out with??? or does it matter???

Sean

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. regalis is about the most calm of the pokies, but as with any T, the temperament can vary greatly from individual to individual. All of the pokies are fast and kind of shy.

Andy

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im not sure that its a female.its just what the guy told me.i wasnt trying to get him down on price or anything and he seemed very knowledgable.I guess id just have to trust him that it is.