My first pokie is on its way!!

tarantula71

Arachnopeon
I ordered a 1 1/2 in. Poecilotheria Tigrinawesseli from Paul Becker (PetcenterUSA). It should be here on Wednesday. I also ordered one 3/4 in. P. Irminia and two 1 in. H. Gigas's. I'll post pics when they're in thier enclosures. Can't wait for them to arrive!!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't know he was a smuggler. I'm buying from him based on his reviews and prices.
As do most people who don't do enough background research. Trust me, one would think the reviews are enough, they aren't. You have to do a google search.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/us-dealer-involved-in-smuggling-revealed-in-court-documents.211012/

When you see someone having the lowest prices for Ts, not month after month, but consistently YEAR after YEAR. You have to ask yourself "How come he's the only one w/such low prices?" Well now you know.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
As do most people who don't do enough background research. Trust me, one would think the reviews are enough, they aren't. You have to do a google search.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/us-dealer-involved-in-smuggling-revealed-in-court-documents.211012/

When you see someone having the lowest prices for Ts, not month after month, but consistently YEAR after YEAR. You have to ask yourself "How come he's the only one w/such low prices?" Well now you know.
I read that thread a few weeks ago. Not pretty. Not pretty at all.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
No, just never knew. Super interesting. Just kind of a "party pooper" thing to say :(
I understand that it is like a cold shower, being super excited about new arrivals and then reading this.
I would be dissapointed as well. But you didn't know. Viper is a bit harsh, but sadly it is true.
Enjoy your new arrivals, they are not to blame for the seller's problems. Just think twice next time you come across a seller that sells at supercheap costs. ;)

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Don't rain on the guy's parade...he didn't know. Congrats on the first Pokie. Just started keeping them myself. I have a P. regalis sling and a P. metallica sling. Love them...amazingly cool tarantulas.

Words of caution...just from your profile it seems you're currently keeping an LP, a rosie and an A. seemani. Assuming that's a current list, this spider is going to be FAR FAR faster than anything you've had so far and has much more potent venom; it is also an arboreal which will have different requirements. Not trying to scare you (I'm assuming you've read up on this...or hoping at least) but you need to be very mindful and focused when dealing with it. They aren't generally defensive but a mistake with a Pokie is going to be much more costly than a mistake with a NW terrestrial.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ehhh....do we really want to turn this thread into a debate about smuggling spiders?
just interested. is it bad because of some sort of tarantula keeper ethics? or do people just want to follow the law best they can?

tarantula71

Arachnopeon
Thanks man, I have owned an OBT from a sling to a mature male. It died about 3 months ago :(
Thats about the only experience I had with old worlds. But I've been doing my research for awhile so I'm now ready for one.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member

You learn something new every day. Thank you for this information, I've never even heard of Paul. Did he ever end up replying to that thread?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ehhh....do we really want to turn this thread into a debate about smuggling spiders?

When did they add Popcorn as an icon to the supporter level?? That's a new one!

You learn something new every day. Thank you for this information, I've never even heard of Paul. Did he ever end up replying to that thread?
No problem. I don't know if he did or not. When the Feds come knocking at his door and wanted his cooperation, I doubt it was for help in picking lottery numbers.;)

whats so wrong about smuggling spiders? its his problem that he could get in trouble for, its my gain cause better prices.
Supporting people who smuggle only depletes the wild population. They already have one issue w/man to deal with, ie habitat destruction, they don't need another one too.

Your viewpoint of the hobby's gain is short sighted my friend.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I wonder. The Hoover guys are really and I say really in real life like they are depicted in the U.S movies? We grew up here with such movies obviously so every time FBI is mentioned jumps in mind this v

Like Italian style dress and those ties - sometimes a couple, a White and a Black American agent - sometimes a smart "I know everything" Lady pretty harsh in her 45/50 - and everytime the Sheriff or the police freaks out because they interfere in their work ??? :)

mistertim

Arachnobaron
For the record, I wasn't saying I agree with smuggling or anything...just that I wasn't sure we really needed to turn this guy's Pokie thread into a debate on the topic.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This part is a frequent occurrence in the USA for many, many reasons.
I remember old good Gene Hackman when he was acting as FBI in a movie (I don't remember now which one) and all of a sudden (in Italian, of course, we love to dub movies) "Christ!" because the Sheriff tried some tricks against ah ah :-s