My First Ornamental

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My First Ornamental Arrives tommrow, Im looking forward to it.

It is from another person, that isnt even sure what kind it is but does not want it.

I know they are fast, Anyone have anything in particular to recomend? I will post pictures when it arrives.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

There about 15 other posts about poecilotheria recently, just look at any of those ;p

-V

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I identified it.

Well after a few days of looking at pictures and searching, i have concluded its an immature male Togo Starburst. the little guy at 4 full size crickets on his first day here, he has since built a interesting burrow.(i did not expect that)

At night he climbs around on the top of his aquarium. Fortunetly he built some tunnels against the sides, and im able to see him. he also has one tunnel that goes into the center, and he built a silk line that goes from one of his burrow entrances to the water dish. I have noticed he built 3 entrances. He has the blood of an engineer.

One other thing i also noticed about my little toga, is he can really jump. When i was transfering him into his new home he managed to jump out from the edge and land on my chest, and scurryed around to my backside, He tried to bite my finger when i retrived him, but i was wearing thick gloves :)

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, that's not quite an ornamental...;)
But a very nice spider indeed! ...Come to think about it, I've heard some people referring to the Togo Starburst as African Ornamental or something

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Heteroscodra maculata is definately a cool color w/the markings. Generally they will be brown as slings and fade into the white patterns. Also in my experience will burrow before becoming fully arboreal. This is a spider you definately dont wanna get bit by though, as its venom is said to be more potent than most other T's(Heteroscodra is the second genus in subfamily Stromatopelminae, who can have a pretty severe bite).

-V

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by ArachnoJoost
Come to think about it, I've heard some people referring to the Togo Starburst as African Ornamental or something
Another common name for them is "Ornamental Baboon"

Scott