My first one in 12 years, P. regalis. Housing questions?

Ceymann

Arachnoknight

Went to the reptile show Sunday and even though I haven't built my display case for my future collection, I got myself this small P. regalis and a tiny P. irminia (unpictured)

Temperature was a concern of mine as I keep my house at 68, but I found if I keep my lliving room fan off, my upstairs gets up in the mid-lower 70s.
I am going to rehouse this guy fairly soon, was thinking about using the commonly seen tall amac box.
Question is, I see that when people set these up for arboreals they do so upside down-the smaller half as the bottom. Why is this? From an outsiders look this looks like it would increase chances of bolting while watering and feeding. However, I assume my assumption is wrong and there is a reason behind this?

Also considering using a 32oz deli container, but seems like you have to buy 50 of those at a time.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
AMAC boxes are set upside down for those arboreal Ts that bolt upwards when disturbed and to not disturb the upper level webbing that occurs.

With my Poecilitheria sp slings, I've noticed they run downwards. Right side up would be more efficient with those habits.

I would try to keep the place a little warmer.

You don't need to buy those in bulk, I never have. You can walk into your local grocery store's deli and ask for one or a couple and they'd give em to you for free.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
AMAC boxes are set upside down for those arboreal Ts that bolt upwards when disturbed and to not disturb the upper level webbing that occurs.

With my Poecilitheria sp slings, I've noticed they run downwards. Right side up would be more efficient with those habits.

I would try to keep the place a little warmer.

You don't need to buy those in bulk, I never have. You can walk into your local grocery store's deli and ask for one or a couple and they'd give em to you for free.

Thank you for clearing that reasoning up on the amac boxes, I wish I could keep my place warmer but I can't otherwise my reef tank could overheat, I have another thread about making a mildly heated display case to keep my collection in, hopefully Ill find the perfect bookcase on Craigslist soon to fashion one out of.
Other than slower metabolism/ growth what are the other negatives associated with lower temps?? the room I am keeping them in gets up to 75 on a hot day and falls to about 70 at night. Granted this is temporary until my case is built.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I would use a little space heater if you're worried about temps. My room is in the 80s, but the rest of my house is in the 70s or so I don't worry about heat. The space heater SHOULDN'T affect your aquarium if its small, indirectly pointed to just heat an area, and not in the room the reef is in.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
I would use a little space heater if you're worried about temps. My room is in the 80s, but the rest of my house is in the 70s or so I don't worry about heat. The space heater SHOULDN'T affect your aquarium if its small, indirectly pointed to just heat an area, and not in the room the reef is in.
I was considering that but they scare me (fire) plus once my case is built it will basically be a paper weight. However, if any of you guys and gals think I am doing my two current residents harm by keeping them slightly cooler than ideal for the time being, Ill go see if I can hunt down a space heater after work today.

Last edited:

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I was considering that but they scare me (fire) plus once my case is built it will basically be a paper weight. However, if any of you guys think I am doing my two current residents harm by keeping them slightly cooler than ideal for the time being, Ill go see if I can hunt down a space heater after work today.
Honestly, they should be fine until you sort out your warm box.

Does your aquarium have a chiller? If not I would highly recommend you invest in one or switch to tropical freshwater.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Eh, I'm not sure. Take my advice with more than a grain of salt, but I kept my t's in the 60's during the nighttime in winter. I'm pretty sure they will be fine ,as I've had no deaths, just slowed metabolism.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
once that regalis hits 3", it will seem to double in size every molt. fast growers for sure. even more so with the irminia. temps are fine. i recommend 32oz delis till their 2-3".

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
Honestly, they should be fine until you sort out your warm box.

Does your aquarium have a chiller? If not I would highly recommend you invest in one or switch to tropical freshwater.
Trying to stay away from a chiller, might be relocating my sump to the basement to help with temps--switch to freshwater?? ha! not possible, you think T's are addicting? don't ever get a reef tank!

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Trying to stay away from a chiller, might be relocating my sump to the basement to help with temps--switch to freshwater?? ha! not possible, you think T's are addicting? don't ever get a reef tank!
A chiller would solve all of your problems.

Fish are addicting, I know, I prefer freshwater though. I'm quite partial to the plants, driftwood and SA/CA cichlids. Also marine is too expensive with all the equipment you need, like a chiller.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the insight everyone!

Also Venom1080, I knew Pokies grew fast but wasn't sure on the irminia, so thanks for clearing that up. I hope they grow fast, mine is about the size of a pea.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
A chiller would solve all of your problems.

Fish are addicting, I know, I prefer freshwater though. I'm quite partial to the plants, driftwood and SA/CA cichlids. Also marine is too expensive with all the equipment you need, like a chiller.
Because of LEDs advancements chillers are becoming dinosaurs of aquarium equipment, I still however run halides. I have a computer controlling my fans and heater to keep it right at 80-81. A chiller would be helpful but the aquarium isn't the only reason I keep my house at 68, I prefer it to be cool, esp while going to sleep.