My first insertion, and a puzzling question...

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So the other night while watching my communal OBT tank of 3 females and one male in a 5 gallon, I know this spieces is not communal, and at first I would agree with you, however after watching them for awhile I am beginning to disagree. However I am getting off subject, While watching my tank the other day I was able to see my first insertion:eek: I was even happier when the male was able to get away.
I also noticed that one of the other females has recently put on some girth and has gotten really fat. So my question is since it looks like I'm expecting one maybe two eggsacs in the near future should I move them all to a bigger tank? before they start to web up. either way I am going to keep them together, they seem to get along with each other and 2 MF share the same tunnel.
Oh yeah if any one wants to buy some OBT slings in the future let me know, I'll keep you posted when they hatch.

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
IMHO, If u suspect that your females are gravid, ill advise you to separate them. Imagine if you have an eggsac in a communal setting of all things OBTs, i cant imagine how you will get the sac out to incubate it. lol... But seriously, separate them...

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I suggest reading your thread title out loud to yourself...hehe.
If I was you I think I'd separate them.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wait, how did you fit 4 large T's in a five gallon? i understand what you mean about them being somewhat 'communal' but in a five gallon? 4 adult p. murinus would need a much bigger tank the co-habitate...how'd you fit them all in one small tank? i mean these spiders grow to be at least 5in. wouldn't they be climbing all over each other? in a 30 gall or more i could see it, but a five?[slings maybe but 4 adults? how the heck did they fit?]

i just can't imagine 4 spiders that size in a small tank..they would look like a bucket of emperor scorpions [now THERE'S a funny picture :p ] how do they fit???

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ OBTs are that large. 4 to 5 inched MAX. Most of mine are around 4 to 4.5 inches.

Also with "communals" it is best to keep them in a smaller enclosure so they dont establish "territories"(though in my opinion OBT's ARE NOT COMMUNAL!).

Good luck though.

When I tried the commuanl obt thing, the one that dropped the sac first, ate the rest.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
^ OBTs are that large. 4 to 5 inched MAX. Most of mine are around 4 to 4.5 inches.

Also with "communals" it is best to keep them in a smaller enclosure so they dont establish "territories"(though in my opinion OBT's ARE NOT COMMUNAL!).

Good luck though.

When I tried the commuanl obt thing, the one that dropped the sac first, ate the rest.
......so maybe my OBT is a giant then...lol she's really pretty big [rivaling my rose hair in size..although i think i have a big rose hair too...] if the average OBT is the size my h. lividum is now...then i see that the tank works..but my OBT is AT LEAST 5.25in.

Reptiliatus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Good luck though.

I've measured my female at 6.5 inches....