My Desert Set Up For My Tarantula

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMG_4125.JPG IMG_4124.JPG IMG_4126.JPG IMG_4127.JPG So on January 12, 2016 is when I first posted this thread and when my Brachypelma hamorii has been in her new environment. Today January 25, 2016 let's see how much walking she's done, also the water in her water dish let's see how much it has evaporated. One last thing has she used her hide? Let's take a look.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Terrible? You make it sound like if the tarantula really cares what type of hide she's in for the most part they will use a hide when and if they feel the need.
It has nothing to do with whether or not the spider uses it or not. I just think those hides that look like a nut or scrotum are rather ugly/look terrible, and personally prefer more natural enclosure set-ups and décor. Just like I'm not fond of that wood house/church(?) ornament with the green pickle trees on each side of it either. But to each their own.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMG_4393.JPG IMG_4394.JPG

My new desert project a 20 gallon long, glass separator for two tarantulas. I silicone the glass separator to the middle section of the aquarium, now waiting for it to dry.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMG_4512.JPG IMG_4513.JPG IMG_4515.JPG Hello everyone this here I my latest just finished this set up today now waiting and thinking what species I wand to put in here. The aquarium is a 20 gallon long with a glass separator and glass top that is a safety glass like the windshield of a car. None of the tarantulas can cross over the other side unless I'm dum enough to leave the glass top off. I usually start of with a 4" inch tarantula to be placed in an desert like enclosure set up. One of the photo is a side view of the aquarium so you can see how much of a gap there is from the top glass and the glass divider top section of the glass.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love the fact that you aren't scared to try new "roads", man.
Well Chris is really not new to me. I've had set ups like this for many years before I ever joined Arachnoboards, more and likely some of you weren't even born. One of the biggest problems I've come across is, people stating no don't do this, don't do that, it's not right and that's not how they live out in the wild. Some tarantulas adapt very well with set ups like this in captivity, obviously you can't do a Theraphosa apophysis in one of these or a King Baboon, you'll kill them. Most Brachypelma you can get away with and believe it or not Aphonopelma seemani "Blue Form" as well.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well Chris is really not new to me. I've had set ups like this for many years before I ever joined Arachnoboards, more and likely some of you weren't even born. One of the biggest problems I've come across is, people stating no don't do this, don't do that, it's not right and that's not how they live out in the wild. Some tarantulas adapt very well with set ups like this in captivity, obviously you can't do a Theraphosa apophysis in one of these or a King Baboon, you'll kill them. Most Brachypelma you can get away with and believe it or not Aphonopelma seemani "Blue Form" as well.
Bravo!

But I'm not so young, man (1979) :-s

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i can never figure out if Exoskleton and joerossi are friends or enemies. :rofl:
on a side note, ive always wondered why you used vermiculite, any advantages or big resons you like it?

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i can never figure out if Exoskleton and joerossi are friends or enemies. :rofl:
on a side note, ive always wondered why you used vermiculite, any advantages or big resons you like it?
Joe and I we talk frequently so yes we are friends, even though we are friends we see some things differently, but overall about 95% percent we agree on the same subjects. Joe and I usually like to pull pranks on each other. He is the "Pinche Joto Italiano Bandido" to me, and I'm the ??????? what ever to him. So if you ever see Joe writing something silly on one of my thread is because he's pulling a prank on me. Joe is a good guy he means well and he's always there to help anyone out out of courtesy.

As for vermiculite yes I use it, same as Eco Earth and white silica sand. The majority of my slings are on vermiculite, vermiculite holds humidity much better than Eco Earth.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I thought seemani need a fair amount of moisture. I say that as someone who doesn't own one.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of the biggest problems I've come across is, people stating no don't do this, don't do that, it's not right and that's not how they live out in the wild. Some tarantulas adapt very well with set ups like this in captivity, obviously you can't do a Theraphosa apophysis in one of these or a King Baboon, you'll kill them. Most Brachypelma you can get away with and believe it or not Aphonopelma seemani "Blue Form" as well.
I believe this is known as a "naturalistic fallacy" or an "appeal to nature." Just because something is doesn't mean it ought to be or is ideal. Tarantulas encounter parasites, predators, floods, famine, etc every day in the wild and I don't see anyone suggesting those are absolutely necessary for survival... as you say, tarantulas are (generally speaking) extremely adaptable and most of them could probably live just fine in an old boot filled with dirt.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Joe and I we talk frequently so yes we are friends, even though we are friends we see some things differently, but overall about 95% percent we agree on the same subjects. Joe and I usually like to pull pranks on each other. He is the "Pinche Joto Italiano Bandido" to me, and I'm the ??????? what ever to him. So if you ever see Joe writing something silly on one of my thread is because he's pulling a prank on me. Joe is a good guy he means well and he's always there to help anyone out out of courtesy.

As for vermiculite yes I use it, same as Eco Earth and white silica sand. The majority of my slings are on vermiculite, vermiculite holds humidity much better than Eco Earth.
The, "???????" would be:

he is the ball sac hide using, ex exoskeletoninvertebrates.com owner (that's eddies now), dirty sand vermicultite substratest, stuck on Brachy Grammastola (There all rose hair) Acanthoscurria Aphonoplema genus, Joker of hybrid conspiracy theorist, and Queen of pinche joto's (he stole my line like Eddie @metallica stole his .com domain).

Last edited:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
View attachment 229202 View attachment 229203 Brachypelma vagans isn't desert tarantula either but believe or not vagans do very well in white silica sand as well. I couldn't tell you exactly "why" they do well but they do, boehmei and emelia are others that does extremely well. Maybe is their toughness that keeps them alive in some conditions. So why smithi? They do well never had a problem.

All my Grammostola sp. "Northern Type", Grammostola rosea, and Grammostola sp. "Concepcion" are on white silica sand. I also have a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens female that is currently on white silica sand, it's the first time ever for me to keep this species on white silica sand. She's nice and fatty and doing well at this point and as usual loves to make lots of webs.

One of the greatest things not to deal with and worry about your tarantula having is mites, mites can't live on sand. I never had an issue with mites or mold when kept in white silica sand.
I'm not sure I would keep an opportunistic burrower on white silica sand, even if they don't often burrow much in captivity.

Also, I have have never had issues with mites in any of my arid and dry species enclosures, but I guess if they are thriving and you're happy with the setup then that's all that matters.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I am curious about the idea of partial use of silica sand.

I definitely like the idea of using it on the pond area for H. gigas. I would want other substrate in the same container for burrowing.

I am also wondering about the idea of having it around the water dish area and for areas where you might place pre-kill for burrowing slings of different species.

As @bugmom mentioned in post #18, I am wondering if the sand will slowly move to the bottom of the container if mixed into a container with coco fiber and/or peat.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Silica sand, ponds, ping pong balls, cage decorations, cork slabs... and yet in nature these things live in nearest hole in the ground or other structure they can squeeze themselves into.