My chevy is deader than a hammer.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yesterday i was doing my weekly watering ect. and found my P. cambridgei dead. I think i killed it by not keeping it moist enough in its cage. The cage is a 2 gal. fish tank type thing with half glass and half wire. I kept telling myself i need to restrict the air flow, but never got around to doing it. The soil was still moist under the surface, but real dry on top.

I guess its possible it was sick or old. When i flushed its mouth there seemed to be alot of white stuff flowing out. It had been dead for quite a while before i found it, cause the mites were out in force. I've never seen mites like that before and hope never to see them again.

Anyway, I hate to lose my T's, but it happens.

Ernie

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Sorry about your loss, Ern. Were the mites white? Have a pic of this scene?

Dario

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Ernie I don't think humidity had anything to do with because I have been keeping a adult in bone dry(except for a water dish) for over a year now with no problems. How long did you have it before it died? Maybe it did have some sort of parasite? At any rate sorry for your loss Ernie, it always sucks to have a tarantula die.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks Dario,
They were little white suckers. 100's of them.
No, i didn't take any pics. it was just to gross looking to share.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by jwb121377
Hey Ernie I don't think humidity had anything to do with because I have been keeping a adult in bone dry(except for a water dish) for over a year now with no problems. How long did you have it before it died? Maybe it did have some sort of parasite? At any rate sorry for your loss Ernie, it always sucks to have a tarantula die.
I only had it about 3 months. It never was a good eater. In fact i never saw it take a cricket as it was dropped in the enclosure.
It did molt in my care and looked to be healthy afterwards.

Its one of those, I'll never know type of deals.

Ern

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Thanks Dario,
They were little white suckers. 100's of them.
No, i didn't take any pics. it was just to gross looking to share.
I could only imagine. But, it would be excellent visual information for learning as I have yet to experience an infestation or a T death (*knock on wood*).

Were the mites big enough to make out a description of them: number of legs, body shape, etc?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, i know it doesn't matter much, but i'm sorry.. Its such a beautiful T -- are you gonna send it off to Rhys or someone?

sorry again man.
any pics of your T in its better days?

pce
dave

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
sorry bout the loss ernie, do you plan on getting another one?

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lots of people's spiders dying lately, kind of depressing. I'm sorry about your cambridgei, I've never had one but they look very interesting.

Adrian

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Better days,

D-Man,
The mites are so tiny its hard to see em moveing without looking really close..

Dave,
No I put it in the trash along with the substrate and mites

Sean,
Yes I'll get another one, What sucks is it was an adult Female. I think the guy i bought it from as another one. Its just money. LOL

Adrian,
Well put. Its depressing. I'm not all broke up about it. More angry than anything. We all try real hard to take the best care of these guys as we can, or as time allows. And when one dies its major let down.

Ernie

Attachments