My carnivorous plants

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Don't forget temperate Pinguicula! (My favorite CPs). I think the main thing that prevents people from caring for CPs is lack of sufficient lighting, a lot of people don't have the money to put towards good fluorescent or LEDS lighting, and a lot of people live in places that don't have much natural lighting.
Yes, I admit I know nothing about growing Pinguicula, though it sounds like temperate Pinguicula are basically the same as sarracenia. However, the only CP I've ever seen wild were Pinguicula vulgaris on a hill in Iceland, and it was amazing.

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
Yes, I admit I know nothing about growing Pinguicula, though it sounds like temperate Pinguicula are basically the same as sarracenia. However, the only CP I've ever seen wild were Pinguicula vulgaris on a hill in Iceland, and it was amazing.
In my opinion, the temperate Pinguicula are the most difficult temperate CP to grow, besides the south American and New Zealand temperate Drosera. The cold temperate Pinguicula do not tolerate high temps very well, and the warm temperates need a cold winter but no prolonged frosts and high humidity during frosts.

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
Pictures of P. hirtiflora, P. megaspilaea, and the seed pod from the cross I made between the two (hopefully it was successful). Also, the flowers of P. primuliflora 'Rose'.
20170407_194839.jpg 20170407_194909.jpg 20170407_194926.jpg 20170406_220954.jpg 20170406_220959.jpg

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
Part 1 of a buttload of pictures taken during the past few weeks

Attachments

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Your pinguiculas are gorgeous--I always found them boring, but I may need to find some! And the sundews are beautiful as well.

A question about D. filiformis (which I think you have in one of your pictures?): mine, instead of growing vertically as it's supposed to, often has the leaves grow at odd angles and fall over. It's otherwise quite healthy: large leaves with plenty of dew. Do you have any experience with a problem of this sort? I think it might be the angle of the lighting.

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
Mine get full sun but once they are well into the growing season they tend to get more floppy. These are just waking up, so the leaves seem to he more short and stout.

keks

Arachnobaron
Wonderful plants and wonderful pictures :happy:.
I love this plants, and I had some too, but no luck with them.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Awesome collection! I really need to try and expand my Pinguicula collection, Amazing plants.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
Awesome collection. I love carnivorous plants, though I've pretty much given up on ever keeping them. They're beautiful and interesting.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
Why have hou given up if I may ask?
Most sound like more work than I care to put into them. There is a local one I think that I could probably grow outside but other than that I doubt I'd try them again. Tried some years ago and didn't go well.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Most sound like more work than I care to put into them. There is a local one I think that I could probably grow outside but other than that I doubt I'd try them again. Tried some years ago and didn't go well.
Some are really not too bad. For a lot of Drosera and Sarracenia, the only requirements are half and half peat/sand soil, very bright light, and constant standing water, as well as a winter rest. Whereabouts do you live? If it doesn't get cold enough for a winter rest, you can get tropical drosera instead.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
Some are really not too bad. For a lot of Drosera and Sarracenia, the only requirements are half and half peat/sand soil, very bright light, and constant standing water, as well as a winter rest. Whereabouts do you live? If it doesn't get cold enough for a winter rest, you can get tropical drosera instead.
Pacific Northwest. I have a window that gets decent light, but then that is somewhat dependent on the weather which isn't always the most consistent thing up here. Sand soil? Is that a thing you buy?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Pacific Northwest. I have a window that gets decent light, but then that is somewhat dependent on the weather which isn't always the most consistent thing up here. Sand soil? Is that a thing you buy?
Outside is probably your best bet, if you can--the Pacific northwest has a great climate for a variety of species. Where exactly?

I meant soil that is half peat and half sand. I, too, have never heard of sand soil.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
Outside is probably your best bet, if you can--the Pacific northwest has a great climate for a variety of species. Where exactly?

I meant soil that is half peat and half sand. I, too, have never heard of sand soil.
I'm not far from Portland. I was actually at a plant fair recently where a guy was selling some. One of them is native to this region, but I didn't end up buying any.

And ok haha. So then, two parts peat, one part soil, one part sand...is the kind of soil and sand important?

Xafron

Arachnosquire
Also, are any of these good at catching ants? The tiny little ones. Just now occurred to me that I could potentially use these to help control the ants that get into the house.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
For most cp's you want the substrate to be 50% peat and 50% sand, though there are certainly plenty of exceptions. In Portland you could grow most sarracenia, temperate sundews, and venus flytraps. Cobra lilies grow in the area as well, and it's a climate that would probably be good for cephalotus and roridula, but I wouldn't recommend those to a beginner. Cephalotus is also thought by some to specialize on ants, although this claim has been disputed.