My carnivorous plant collection.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey everyone. Yesterday was beautiful so I snapped a few shots of my American pitcher plants (Sarracenia). I have also been working on improving my photography which I think has made some progress.

enjoy. ...
Indeed, we do!

Your talent for growing these plants is amazing. There's obviously some underling understanding of their requirements that I lacked in the years that I had tried growing them. I think a large part of it is the winter "rest" period.

But, your photography is exceptional. These photos accentuate the translucency of the pitchers and the lids (for want of a better term) that most others completely miss. And, the angle from which you've taken the photos lends a distinct Wyndham-esque flavor to the subjects. What's next? Green flashes in the night sky? Three-rooted plants that shamble across the landscape?

Are you performing clandestine genetics experiments in your basement or garage? Do I need to buy an extra large bottle of 2,4-D?

Keep up the good work!

SEB

Arachnosquire
Indeed, we do!

Your talent for growing these plants is amazing. There's obviously some underling understanding of their requirements that I lacked in the years that I had tried growing them. I think a large part of it is the winter "rest" period.

But, your photography is exceptional. These photos accentuate the translucency of the pitchers and the lids (for want of a better term) that most others completely miss. And, the angle from which you've taken the photos lends a distinct Wyndham-esque flavor to the subjects. What's next? Green flashes in the night sky? Three-rooted plants that shamble across the landscape?

Are you performing clandestine genetics experiments in your basement or garage? Do I need to buy an extra large bottle of 2,4-D?

Keep up the good work!
Thank you very much!!! Those are some kind words. I am experimenting with some different lighting and will post more pictures of my plants when I get some good shots. I don't edit anything. The pictures are straight out of the camera. No cropping and no brightness/ saturation adjustments out of camera. I try really hard to get the shot right when I'm taking it.

and I assure you, I'm not tampering with any coloration genes. That is way beyond me. Just good culturing by normal means.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you very much!!! ...
You're welcome. Job well done!

... and I assure you, I'm not tampering with any coloration genes. ...
I wasn't concerned about tampering with color genes. That was a joke referring to John Wyndham's book and the three resulting movies Day of the Triffids. If you've never read the book or viewed the movies, you should do so. You'll view your carnivorous plants a little differently afterwards, I promise!

:biggrin:

arachnofab

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never seen pitcher plants grow straight up like that before. Originally I had thought they were a tropical plant or from warmer climates but we have some growing in bog/marsh areas even up here in WI i've seen. Such amazing plants - love carnivorous plants!

Pipa

Arachnoknight
California has ALL the nice plants , beit orchinds , tropicals , cacti/ succulents , or caudex plants .... I miss southern cali climate where you can keep most tropical plants outdoors all year long .

Akai

Arachnobaron
Man this is a hobby I could get into. For some reason I thought it was important to keep these in a terrarium type environment. So basically you suspend the plant in a container filled with water to provide the humidity? I want to get some sundews just to deal with gnats that get into your house and lurk in my kitchen.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Makes me miss my Carnivorous plant collection! Nice variety you have their!

DatMillipede

Arachnosquire
I live in the middle of a desert, not so good for cps. However, I actually have a nepenthes ovata that survives and pitchers in my living room window. California is certainly blessed with their climate.