My carnivorous plant collection.

Walk Alone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is a very nice collection that you have. You obviously have a lot of time vested into it. Really pretty. :)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
those are very beautiful...i had a venus fly trap once...turns out it needs to eat...

SEB

Arachnosquire
those are very beautiful...i had a venus fly trap once...turns out it needs to eat...
Surprisingly that is usually not the case. The main two reasons people's Venus Flytraps die are because they water them with water that has a higher TDS than 50ppm and not giving them enough light. VFT can go over a year without eating anything. Flies are not a source of energy for the plant. They get their energy from the sun through photosynthesis. Flies are merely a form of fertilizer.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmm..that might of been it then..i picked one up a long time ago, before i knew much about plants...
Surprisingly that is usually not the case. The main two reasons people's Venus Flytraps die are because they water them with water that has a higher TDS than 50ppm and not giving them enough light. VFT can go over a year without eating anything. Flies are not a source of energy for the plant. They get their energy from the sun through photosynthesis. Flies are merely a form of fertilizer.

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could you possibly "tag" some of your beautiful photos with genus + species name for the plant? I really love the photos and my wife just became a "carnivorous plant society" member as a Xmas gift! Thank you!

David

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
so they kill the bug/fly etc and then just use the bolus as fertilizer?? sweeeeeeet

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Actually VFT can dont even eat their lifetime and thrive. As you said, food are mainly forms of fertilizers. I like your collection! may i ask what ur cephalotus folicularis is potted in? If im not wrong, i see some perlite and peat moss. I actually had mine potted in pure LFS with water running through its perimeter 24/7 through a pump, however, i just discovered one yellow leaf and a blackening pitcher. I dont know the cause, but i dont want to take the risk so i repotted it in LFS + peat moss.

BimBim

Arachnopeon
very cool, thanks for sharing , never knew they came in so many different colors

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
QUOTE=SEB;1957489]... As for the plants being outside, that is where they belong. If you do your research, you will find that Sarracenia and Dionea are warm temperate plants that naturally occur in the South Eastern regions of the US. Some Serracenia are even found as far north as Canada and New Jersey. ...[/quote]

Trust me. There's almost a whole world of difference between living in Canada and living in New Jersey!

My current home town is Calgary, Alberta, Canada (western Canada just east of the Canadian Rockies), and it gets down to -40 (it's the same in F or C) and lower in mid winter every few years. I have seen Sarracenia (northern pitcher plants) and Drosera (sundews) growing in small "hanging" bogs, and Pinguicula (Butterworts) growing along calcareous clay river banks at well over 5000' (1500 m) in Banff National Park. At those elevations that far north it gets #$%^# cold in winter. New Jersey-ites would die up there! (Or move south for the winter as I do!)

Nice collection. I envy you. Where do you live (country, city)?

If I ever settle down again I may try my hand at growing carnivorous plants instead of orchids.

(Uploaded with ImageShack.us)

SEB

Arachnosquire
Could you possibly "tag" some of your beautiful photos with genus + species name for the plant? I really love the photos and my wife just became a "carnivorous plant society" member as a Xmas gift! Thank you!

David
Yeah, I haven't been on here in a while but Ill try to get them all tagged with genus and species name. That is an awesome Christmas gift!

---------- Post added 12-30-2011 at 04:35 PM ----------

Actually VFT can dont even eat their lifetime and thrive. As you said, food are mainly forms of fertilizers. I like your collection! may i ask what ur cephalotus folicularis is potted in? If im not wrong, i see some perlite and peat moss. I actually had mine potted in pure LFS with water running through its perimeter 24/7 through a pump, however, i just discovered one yellow leaf and a blackening pitcher. I dont know the cause, but i dont want to take the risk so i repotted it in LFS + peat moss.
I pot my Cephelotus in 5 parts peat moss, 2 parts perlite, 3 parts silica sand. I keep it on the dry side only watering once every 3 to 4 days depending on how dry the weather is. It has been thriving! I have never tried it but from what I have read planting a Cephalotus in only LFS is not a good idea. Its holds in too much moisture and can cause root rot very easily. My plants seem to do best when kept lightly moist never soggy. Also, running water through 24/7 is unnecessary and will kill the Ceph. Hope that helps, good luck!

---------- Post added 12-30-2011 at 04:42 PM ----------

QUOTE=SEB;1957489]... As for the plants being outside, that is where they belong. If you do your research, you will find that Sarracenia and Dionea are warm temperate plants that naturally occur in the South Eastern regions of the US. Some Serracenia are even found as far north as Canada and New Jersey. ...
Trust me. There's almost a whole world of difference between living in Canada and living in New Jersey!

My current home town is Calgary, Alberta, Canada (western Canada just east of the Canadian Rockies), and it gets down to -40 (it's the same in F or C) and lower in mid winter every few years. I have seen Sarracenia (northern pitcher plants) and Drosera (sundews) growing in small "hanging" bogs, and Pinguicula (Butterworts) growing along calcareous clay river banks at well over 5000' (1500 m) in Banff National Park. At those elevations that far north it gets #$%^# cold in winter. New Jersey-ites would die up there! (Or move south for the winter as I do!)

Nice collection. I envy you. Where do you live (country, city)?

If I ever settle down again I may try my hand at growing carnivorous plants instead of orchids.

(Uploaded with ImageShack.us)[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much. I take a lot of pride in growing my plants. I live in Marina Del Rey california. It is part of Los Angeles but is on the coast. The weather here stays nice and cool with full sunshine year around. Winter lows are 45 degrees and summer highs are 90 degrees. Humidity stays between 45% to 80%. It's pretty ideal here for growing a wide range of plants.

If you ever settle down, let me know and I'll send you some root cuttings.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
I see. My ceph was acually thriving in Sphag moss with water running through their roots. I will try ur method though, seeing how ur ceph is thriving. Im more of a nepenthes person actually, theyre so beautiful! Btw ur weather is perfect for highland nepenthes!

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those pitcher plants are impressive, especially the one with the "spikes"! If only venus fly traps were easier to care for, I'd have tons of those :D

Rich65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Butterworts ???

]Hi everyone,
Just thought I would also suggest butterworts. They are amazing carnivorous plants as well. I have mine in the kitchen window, beautiful green rosettes, catch lots of gnats and have beautiful purple flowers.

RICH

ATTACH]101616[/ATTACH] photo (13).JPG photo (15).JPG photo (14).JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
I'm trying tO get into Pygmy sundews (indoors space limitations), any general advice?

SEB

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone. Yesterday was beautiful so I snapped a few shots of my American pitcher plants (Sarracenia). I have also been working on improving my photography which I think has made some progress.

enjoy.