My babycurus jacksioni gave birth!!!!!!!!!

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is a first for me I have never had any scorpions to have babies it happened last night. I came into the animal room today and they was on her back. Any tips would be greatly appreciated? I have been feeding them crickets should I still offer her food?

John

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dont offer her anything or gently lay down a dead roach or cricket the more you disturb her the more she'll stress out and then she will eat the baby's. You can start collecting when they start coming of the moms back.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
like MOBugGuy said, only offer her a dead or very wounded prey item if anything at all right now. just wait until the babies molt the first time on her back and begin to move off her. this should take around 2 weeks, give or take. once the young leave her back you should remove her from the enclosure (seems easier than trying to capture all the babies) some people would advise to separate the babies into individual containers to prevent cannibalism until they have molted another 2 times (to 4i) then try to introduce them into a communal set-up, still without mom of course. i just had a B. jacksoni brood myself about a month ago and here is what i did. i removed mom after the babies began leaving her back ( a lil difficult as when i started to move stuff in the cage to get at her young would run up and sit on her). i kept all the young together and fed them 1/4 inch crickets. i have around 14-16 (still not sure how many total) so i put in about 20 crix every 4 days or so. they were all gone by the next day. once you notice crickets being left over for more than a day you should back off feeding as many will be ready to molt to 3i, another 2 weeks or so (with my brood) ive had 10 molt out to 3i in the last few days and havent seen any cannibalism yet. im going to put them into groups of 5 now at 3i and see how things work for me. i hope this helps a bit or atleast gives you an idea of what you should do. good luck with your brood!

P.S. this was kinda my first time with babies as well, i had 2 other species give birth the same week so this is still new to me as well

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i kept all the young together and fed them 1/4 inch crickets. i have around 14-16 (still not sure how many total) so i put in about 20 crix every 4 days or so. they were all gone by the next day. once you notice crickets being left over for more than a day you should back off feeding as many will be ready to molt to 3i, another 2 weeks or so (with my brood) ive had 10 molt out to 3i in the last few days and havent seen any cannibalism yet. im going to put them into groups of 5 now at 3i and see how things work for me. i hope this helps a bit or atleast gives you an idea of what you should do.
That's cool. I also had a brood a couple weeks back too. I think they are almost ready to leave the mom. I thought they need to be separated once they off mom's back. I'll try it your way.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The most important thing is to leave mom alone right now. The biggest problem will be stress. When I had my first brood I checked on mom two or three times a day, took a ton a pictures and wondered why she ate her babies. Most of the time I check every few days now. Mothers don't need to be fed, generally speaking, until after the babies leave mom's back.

Good Luck John

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my first brood is molting to 4i now, about half have done it. there are 10 in one tank and 5 in the other. they have all been together since birth. ive only had one come up missing in the tank with 10. they have all been together since mid June.