My avics are not fattening up, I'm concerned.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They eat, I feed them plenty, they poop, but their rumps are so small. They use to be real fatties. I'm wondering if it is because of the low humidity. I'm having one heck of a time trying to get it higher. It's only been about 12% in Phoenix. I have a humidifier on them but it only jumps the air around the enclosure to about 32%. I mist once or twice a day, keep a water bowl inside and keep the substrate wet but not soggy. Kind of drifted from my original concern, but just wondering if they are thinner because they are drying out so to speak.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could be but it sounds as if you have them in as an ideal conditions as you can give them or it could be a metabolic change due to the seasons changing and the photo period of light they get each day?

One would think shorter day period would induce a more "storage" ability and they would get bigger but possibly it could trigger some other response.

I really think they are more in tune, as most animals are, to the seasonal weather as well the regional weather conditions (RH, Pressure, etc) in the habitats we keep them in.

Most of my T's as well lately are not gaining that plump look even feeding 1 roach 2x a week but they are active, molting (3 within the past week) and otherwise happy. I'm sure it's something beyond your control honestly as I know you care for your pets and would do the best for them.

Others I'm sure to add additional comments..

Cheers,

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well that makes me feel better, yes they are active and webbing like crazy. They don't appear sick at all and since yours are also thinner it could just be their body adjusting like you said. I'm just use to them looking like little porkies. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Misting twice a day seems a little too much to me, I restrict mine to once a week and I prefer many Avics do better on a dry substrate with a light spray on the web or sphagnum moss.
Avics rarely seem to be the greatest of eaters so feeding is a frequent issue. You could try pre-killed crickets to see if that boosts their intake.

Rayven

Arachnopeon
My house is so dry I have to run a humidifier in every room or my eyeballs start to ache. I hate it here in Oklahoma. (not just because of the climate but it's another reason I hate it here.)

Although experts claim that most T's don't need added heat and that many prefer bone dry conditions, I think you have to pay attention to your pets and ignore the expert advice at times. I noticed that my *dry-loving* T's legs were shrinking and they were sitting around doing nothing. It wasn't a severe dehydration but I could tell they were shrinking the slightest bit. I decided to add damp sphagnum to all the cages, just a little clump in a corner, and run a heat cable across the back of all the cages. The heat raises the humidity inside the cages because of the moss. Suddenly my T's stopped shrinking and are more active.

I have less ventilation on my avic cages to ensure that they get a tiny bit of condensation and they seem to love it that way. My T's who (supposedly) prefer dry conditions, such as my Aphonopelma and Rosehair, are more active and their legs are thicker now that I added a bit of humidity to their cages. My Aphonopelma doesn't like the damp moss and avoids that corner but you can tell she likes the added humidity. She is eating again and goes for a little stroll around the cage every evening. Before I added the damp moss she just sat curled up in a corner all day.

To add humidity inside the cages, try a clump of damp sphagnum against a wall with a heat cable attached to the outside of it. (I tape it on with electrical tape to keep it in place). Don't overheat the cage, just run a little of the cable across one area and let the T decide whether they like to hang out near it or not.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Okay, now I'm getting more concerned, he just keeps hanging outside his web, he has been there all day. Is this a death curl? Should I be worried? He just hasn't been the same since he molted about 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks, I will quit worrying now. It's just odd how her/his personality has changed so much since the molt. Not once in the past year has he been hanging upside down all the time. I feel much better now. Thank you for responding.