My African Red Claw Scorpions

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I have had my two huge African RedClaw scorpions now for well over a year...and they appear to be doing fine - they are both about 7 inches long and will take fuzzy mice as prey - it is really something to see a scorpion eat a mouse.These are really large scorpions that are closely related to the Emperor scorpions but I believe that they get larger than the Emperors....I really recommend this species of scorpion to all you scorpion keepers out there ...you will really like them - they are very easy to care for - I keep mine at about 80 degrees with about 90 per cent humidity...and I feed them about once a week..usually crickets but often a nice mouse for them...heheehe
hheehhehehe:eek: :p

The Evil Spider Hunter

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pics of RedClaws

:8o Alonso,
I wish I had a scanner or a digicam right now but alas I do not...perhaps I will get one for X-mas but right now I wish I could show you what my RedClaws look like but I will have to just describe them to you - sorry! they are like emperors but larger and they have a distinct reddish-maroon tint to their claws and metasoma...they have very large claws as well.They are about 7 inches long and are more than capable of taking vertebrate prey - they love pinky mice and the occasional fuzzie - and if the mouse gets to be too much for them to handle with their claws they will envenomate it rapidly with their telsons - and then cram the still squirming mouse into their chelicerae.It is really a sight to see...:p
The Spider Hunter

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm building a communal scorpion enclosure and red claws are one of the species I'm considering (along with H. spinifer and H. longimanus). I'd appreciate anything you could share about them.

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
RedClaw Scorpion info for Galeogirl

:) Hey Galeogirl,
I will tell you what I know and have learned about my RedClaws...They are very similiar in their husbandry to Emperor Scorpions being in the same genus as them....they are both Pandinus species.I find that they will tolerate and coexist with each other no problem as long as they are about the same size and are kept well fed.They are big eaters and will subsist primarily on crickets or roaches ( I have fed mine juvenile Deaths Head roaches...they love 'em ! ) and occasionally I toss in a hapless pinky mouse which they will grab right away in their pincers and proceed to envemonate and eat it immediatley.I have to say that it appears to be a nasty death to be eaten by a scorpion as with a tarantula the spider generally envenomates the prey and then begins to feed but I have noticed that these big scorps just stuff the prey into their chelicerea ( which I have scrutinized at close range while they were feeding and it appears that scorpions have razor sharp "Scissors" for cutting and tearing food apart....) and eat it while it is still kicking and screaming.

I highly recommend these scorps to you if you can find any as they are somewhat hard to locate...but if you can grab a few you will not be dissapointed in them...they are big and shiny reddish maroon and black...beautiful scorpions!!!!!!

;) The Spider Hunter