My A. geniculata spiderling - Questions

plankationship

Arachnopeon
Hello there guys,

I already ordered my Brazilian White Knee it will arrive in the form of a 1 inch spiderling. This is my first spider and rest assured I have read the sticky thread on Beginner's Info. Surprisingly not many people have mentioned that the Brazilian White Knee is a good beginner's spider.

I searched the forum for geniculata hoping that I would find my answers but I have not found it so I open this thread.

Well substrate wise, I have heard people swearing by 100% coconut fibre and others using a mixture of peatmoss with other substrates. So which one should I use for my White Knee?

Also is it safe to place my 1 inch spiderling in a 13"x7"x7" (LxWxH) cage?

Or is it just enough to keep my spiderling in a small container such as a clean sterile deli cup or plastic vial with holes punched in the lid for ventilation and save the money for a bigger tank when it grows to be mature?

Also is the White Knee a burrowing species?

Sorry for my many questions here. Didn't quite get the answers I want when using the search function hence this thread. If this questions have been asked before please link me to the previous threads created :)

Thanks in advance and appreciate all the help.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I've seen A. geniculata mentioned as a common "hair flicker" - which could explain why it's not the first that's thought of for beginners, but certainly not difficult to take care of.

For substrate - I say "your choice" - either of those are acceptable.

Yes, it's safe to put your sling in that "cage" - however, you'd have to watch it carefully to make sure that it was finding it's prey and eating, and you'll want enough substrate that it can't fall and hurt itself.

"a small container such as a clean sterile deli cup or plastic vial with holes punched in the lid for ventilation" is plenty for now, and probably a better option than the big one at this point.

A. geniculata is not considered an "obligate burrower" but your sling is likely to burrow anyway - they are known to dig deep when given the opportunity. I would provide some type of hide like a half buried clay pot and it may adopt that as it's burrow. Regardless, eventually it isn't likely to stay as a "pet hole."

Hope that helps - welcome to the hobby - You're going to love it!

plankationship

Arachnopeon
Awesome thank you for all your help. Substrate wise, I think I might get 60% organic peat moss and 40% Vermiculite if that's alright?

Also, I would like to ask if a Medium Terrestrial Cage sized 13"x7"x7" enough to keep an Adult Brazilian White Knee?

For the Deli cup, how should I make it clean and sterile like you mentioned?

And finally, in my country the weather is humid and hot most of the time so I tend to always switch on the air con in my room. How can I ensure that my tarantula's enclosure / cup still remains warm?

Just want the best for my White Knee :)

Cheers.

Last edited:

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome thank you for all your help. Substrate wise, I think I might get 60% organic peat moss and 40% Vermiculite if that's alright?

Also, I would like to ask if a Medium Terrestrial Cage sized 13"x7"x7" enough to keep an Adult Brazilian White Knee?

For the Deli cup, how should I make it clean and sterile like you mentioned?

And finally, in my country the weather is humid and hot most of the time so I tend to always switch on the air con in my room. How can I ensure that my tarantula's enclosure / cup still remains warm?

Just want the best for my White Knee :)

Cheers.
In terms of temperature, if you're comfortable, the tarantula will be comfortable. :)

plankationship

Arachnopeon
In terms of temperature, if you're comfortable, the tarantula will be comfortable. :)
Oh I see. Just wondering as I believe there is an optimum temperature which the Tarantula must thrive in, in order to stay healthy. Thanks for replying

I've been lurking in these forums a lot and came across someone who doesn't use distilled water for his invertebrates instead he uses bottled spring water. Is there any difference?

Also hoping for others to answer the rest of my questions :)

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh I see. Just wondering as I believe there is an optimum temperature which the Tarantula must thrive in, in order to stay healthy. Thanks for replying

I've been lurking in these forums a lot and came across someone who doesn't use distilled water for his invertebrates instead he uses bottled spring water. Is there any difference?

Also hoping for others to answer the rest of my questions :)
If you can safely drink your tap water, then it should be fine for your T's.

I've been using tap water just fine for over a year.

EDIT: As I understand it, between 72-76 degrees Fahrenheit is the standard. Some keep theirs 77-82 degrees. It's a matter of preference, I suppose.

plankationship

Arachnopeon
Ahh I see, Is the White Knee more of a obligate burrowing or terrestrial spider?

Once again thank you for answering :)

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Terrestrial; but as slings, they can suddenly decide they feel like burrowing.
Agreed. My 8 cm(3.2 inches) LS A. geniculata begun to dig him/herself a nice hole on the side of the wood I have in the enclosure. It moves that substrate like an excevator and then dumbs it into its waterdish.:evil:

Substrate wise, I use 100% coco fiber as for all my spiders and I keep A. geniculata on farly dry substrate. Somehow it starts to climb the walls when I just water the plants.

I wouldn't say that this species is good beginer species. They can get easy provoked, they flick urticulating hair fast and they are very defensive. When I tried to move mine from deli cup to the enclosure it didn't want to go, it atacked my tongs and throwing me threat position, when I finaly managed to move it to the enclosure I put waterdish next to it and it raised that abdomen high prepared to flick. Same happend when I threw in one mealworm next to it it run and raised its abdomen like hell. From my experience you need to be a bit careful with them. I belive they are more defensive than lets say Psalmopoeus genera is.

plankationship

Arachnopeon
Ahhh I see. Alright thanks. I will take note of its defensiveness

So if I do place a half buried flower pot in the enclosure it wouldn't be a problem right?

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
P'ship, First off, welcome to the world of keeping :).

I keep my t's on 100% peat as there's less chance of mold occuring. I've never used vermiculite but others have luck with that or a mix thereof. The enclosure you mentioned would be a bit large for one that size. It would do better in a 4"X2" deli cup or one near that size for now- just burn some tiny holes in the sides and lid, add about .5" to 1" of peat and voila! A geniculata may do fine at 72 or room temp but hailing mostly from warmer non-mountainous regions of Brazil, it would certainly do better if kept warmer. Mine becomes very lethargic when cooler at low 70's. This sp has done better for me with sub being kept fairly dry, yet slightly moister than some desert dwellers or Brachypelma. Lastly, I find that most defensiveness attributed to this sp is due to misplaced feeder aggression- as they are certainly pigs once the dinnerbell rings! Good luck with your new t. :D

Terry

edit- More an aggression regarding this sp- Mine has been handleable since day one but occasionally kicks- she's more skittish than anything. Not long ago I went to pick up a 7"+ female for another member here aboard. The guy selling her had her for a couple of years but after watching her prey aggression, decided not to try handling her. I reached right into the enc and nudged her onto my hand. She was very calm. (-;

Last edited:

plankationship

Arachnopeon
Thank you for that lengthy post.

Will probably use 100% organic peat moss then :) Temperature wise in Singapore (where I live in) its about 30 - 32 degree Celsius out most of the time. At home I'll switch on the aircon to lower it to 25ish 26.

About many ounce is a 4'' by 2'' deli cup?

Questions regarding feeding - For my sling, is 2 pinhead crickets a week enough?

Cheers and thanks

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
4x2 delicup is 10x5 cm. :) And no need to use airconditioning, this species prefer 25-30°C. :)

plankationship

Arachnopeon
Ahh I see. Alright thank you.

Substrate wise is coco peat a good one to use? :)

And for deli cups do art store sell these?

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Coco peat is fine. You can put it into a transparent smaller box, make tiny holes into in, not too big so you won't have an escapee. you put in 2 cm of substrate, small peace of wood and lightly mist part of substrate and thats it. Wait about week or two to aclimate and feed it. complicate as little as possible. ;)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Substrate wise is coco peat a good one to use? :)
Coco and peat are 2 different things. One is cocohusk the other is spagnum peat moss. Either one will work or a combination.

I switched to peat. Cheaper, easier, holds moisture longer and makes stronger burrows. Coco fiber is sterile. Peat is not sterile. Peat is more acidic and in my experience doesnt mold as easy. It may contain little bugs, springtails, mites ect. but it has a balance of micro organisms that compete and kill each other. If you feel the need you can bake your peat. Most people do not bake it and i dont. Always use organic peat.

plankationship

Arachnopeon
By Baking the peat it get rids of all the mites and what not inside?

Hmmm alright thank you for your input, will be using peat then since everyone I met has told me to use peat :)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
By Baking the peat it get rids of all the mites and what not inside?

Hmmm alright thank you for your input, will be using peat then since everyone I met has told me to use peat :)
It will kill everything.. But there maybe springtails and other microscopic things in there that take care of the mites. So if your using sterile soil and end up getting mites there is no competition.

plankationship

Arachnopeon
Most likely I will be using 100% organic peat, Just really afraid that mites will end up on my White Knee instead.