Murphy's law...

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have read posts of near-disasters where posters have either dropped their T's or their cages and while empathetic, I always wondered how on earth they could actually do something like that.
Well, I was just taught my humbling lesson. Yup, knocked myself right off the pedestal I had mentally placed myself, i suppose.

I was checking on the dirt with a hole that mysteriously eats crickets...a "Curly black hole" ...(havent seen the curly in so long now..) ...and when i placed it back on the shelf, i bumped my lil p.scrofas vial and sent it spiraling across the shelf and off...and I caught it mid air before it fell the two feet down to the computer desk....I don't know who is the more freaked out..me or my lil scrofa..
But, I learned "how on earth could they do that?"....sigh.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by rapunzel
I have read posts of near-disasters where posters have either dropped their T's or their cages and while empathetic, I always wondered how on earth they could actually do something like that.
Well, I was just taught my humbling lesson. Yup, knocked myself right off the pedestal I had mentally placed myself, i suppose.

I was checking on the dirt with a hole that mysteriously eats crickets...a "Curly black hole" ...(havent seen the curly in so long now..) ...and when i placed it back on the shelf, i bumped my lil p.scrofas vial and sent it spiraling across the shelf and off...and I caught it mid air before it fell the two feet down to the computer desk....I don't know who is the more freaked out..me or my lil scrofa..
But, I learned "how on earth could they do that?"....sigh.
The only thing that's happened to me so far...knock on wood.....is that one of my cats knocked my Pet Pal full of crickets off the dresser they were on.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(Grins and blushes and fesses up to my first T near distaster.)
And wouldn't ya know it. It involved the orange phyco demon bitch....
I had some finishing touches to put on her enclosier because she was a bit smaller then I had anticipated.
So I had her in a kritter keeper.
It only had her and a shallow lid for water and a paper towl moistened a bit. Because the deli cup she had been purchased in was Wretched.
So I took her out of that first thing and put her in the KK overnight.
Next day.
Twins at school.
I get my coffee and I decide to finish up her enclosier.
Which I did.
Got a new cup of steamy coffee and decided to carry it in one hand, the kritter keeper in the other.
Yeah ya know where this is going.....
I was sitting coffee down, tipped it wrong, it sploshed on hand.
I went to sit down kritter keeper real fast, missed the table...
Down it went, hit the floor, popped open and out that little monster came.
Headed right towards my bare footsies.
I did the classic up in the chair gig squealing like a ninny, she flew past the chair and headed to the couch...
Now I had done my research and new I didn't want to get bit by this freaky little domon...
So I grabbed a clean deli cup, a flashlight, a damp washrag and a long paint brush.
Flipped my couch over and saw her run inside...
So....
After carefuly cutting the lining off the bottom of my couch.....
Waiting the whole while for the phyco spider to come flying at my face...
I saw her scuttle up in a corner and rear back and fangulate at me.
So I say. "Ah ha. Gotcha."
And proceded to tease her out with the brush, figuring to either get the cup on her or toss the damp cloth on her to stop her...
She said. "Ah ha." Back in clear tarantula sign language,,,, and prolly called me a stupid bitch to boot.
And ran headlong and willy nilly Up the freaking brush toward my hand.
So.
I dropped it.
Orange demon runs back into the dining room, clear floor space, I grab the rag and persue.
She turns around and Charges Dead at me.
I'm like. "ERK!?" and toss the cloth at her.
And miss.
And managed to bat her back with the deli cup lid.
Yes I know batting her could have hurt her but the little insane monster was after my butt and I wasn't getting Bit.
She rears and fangs at me and I grab the rag and look at her.
Stand off.
Me and the two and a half inch bug.....
And you Know I was alot more scared then that little beast.....
So here she comes again.
I have to say they are incrediably brave or incrediably stupid.
But on she came to get my butt again.
And I managed to get the rag over her, and the deli cup, and a book.....
At this point I need a cigarette and a fresh cup of coffee.
So I head to the kitchen, and keep one eye on the floor where she is waiting for her to play herculese and escape and come get me.
I got wiggled and pulled the rag from under the deli cup.
Waiting each time she sunk her fangs into it for her to let it go...
Then slipped the deli cup lid under her and stood in victory over the,,,, um, little two and a half inch bug....
Got her lided and sat and had another smoke and coffee.
Basking in my clever superior human intelect and prowess.
I put tape and string on the deli cup and lid.
Lowered it into her new home and fished the lid and bottom out when she had let it go....

And that was my..."how on earth could they do that?"....adventure with the insane orange demon we lovingly call Keoche.
:)

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lol :D Great story, Nixy
I've had a few "close encounters" like that, myself...Nothing like having TWO Pterrors running loose in your house though (can we say "Breeding Gone Terribly Wrong"?)....hehe...

Thanks for sharing......I need a cigarette after reading that one. lol

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The worst disaster I have had was with my H maculata when it was a spiderling. I was opening the lid of another tarantula cage and it bumped his litle deli dish and the spider made a mad dash and was missing for 2 days but was fine.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL safetypinup I bet that was a Real "erking" moment.
If I had two lose I probably would have been sylvestering on the cieling.

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll be getting myself an usumbara this weekend....and from that story, I can't wait. :) The worst mishaps I have had involved a rosie and a dodoma baboon. The rosie incident was the worst because I could have easily prevented it, but didn't. She was out with me while I was studying for a test, and I forgot about her and moved to the computer on the opposite side of the house. I stayed there for about 2 hours and then thought of my poor rosie. She was nowhere to be seen. I looked for her for two days with no luck, but my mother was the one to find her. Poor Wilma didn't know what hit her, and my mom squished her barefooted. :(

The dodoma baboon incident didn't turn out quite so badly. I was doing my routine morning check on the T's, when I opened my dodoma's lid. I had her cage on my bed, which stands about 3.5' off the ground. She was on the lid of her kritter keeper, and I didn't notice her. She took a flying leap off the bed and hit the floor. She was spurting T "blood" for awhile until I applied the superglue. I could've lost my favorite T to a careless error. :( She's fine now, though. She's still my favorite tarantula.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kids and critters.
Anything and everything can happen in half a heartbeat.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was feeding my T's the other day, and put my Curly enclosure on a chair. Well, I lost track of it and sat on it. Lucky I didn't crack the Kritter Keeper and crush the T, as well as cut my fat ass. LOL:8o

Ernie

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ERNIE!!!!!!

You just made me snort my coffee...LOL!!!!
I had an image of a Three Stooges clip with your episode...poor Curly.

I have a new one now, though....
I don't remember which vial is my Curly sling, and which is the chaco goldenknee.
They are both burrowed. One just molted and the other didn't.
I never see either of them, so it doesnt matter, I guess.
Yup..shoulda labelled them..but IIIII "won't forget who is who...Im not THAT um...inept. "
Well, I sure showed me.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Re: ERNIE!!!!!!

Originally posted by rapunzel
You just made me snort my coffee...LOL!!!!
I had an image of a Three Stooges clip with your episode...poor Curly.

I have a new one now, though....
I don't remember which vial is my Curly sling, and which is the chaco goldenknee.
They are both burrowed. One just molted and the other didn't.
I never see either of them, so it doesnt matter, I guess.
Yup..shoulda labelled them..but IIIII "won't forget who is who...Im not THAT um...inept. "
Well, I sure showed me.
That's what I did. I got out my sharpie marker and labeled the tubs I put my slings in. At this point they all look the same except for the Cinnamon Pinktoe. I just can't believe how incredibly cute they all are. But those Pinhead crickets are a pain to catch though.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by safetypinup
Lol :D Great story, Nixy
I've had a few "close encounters" like that, myself...Nothing like having TWO Pterrors running loose in your house though (can we say "Breeding Gone Terribly Wrong"?)....hehe...

Thanks for sharing......I need a cigarette after reading that one. lol
Well.. they could have been successful in the vents and you might have had 75 Pterrors running loose..

Bill