MUCH BIGGER than expected! :D

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Well, one of our unidentified Wolfiies molted again when we were thinking she had completed her final molt last month. After this molt, as usual, her size has increased and she's much larger than expected! :D

Here are a few photo's we snapped earlier this evening:

revilo

Arachnoknight
such a beauty !

how big is a quarter ? :rolleyes: or to ask directly : is she bigger than 3 cm in bl (1 and 1/5 inch) ?

bye, oli

davisfam

Arachnoknight
LOL, she's def. one big girl.. without a doubt. We also have a sub-adult female just a few molts behind this specimen along with a sling of this species as well. We're pretty excited about the size of these Wolfiies! :D

Oli, as for her exact size, we are not sure as of yet. Although, the size of an American quarter is 24mm.. Yes, her body length is bigger than 3cm (1.18 inches). We'll try taking some measurements of her later this afternoon for more exact details. Thanks for the insight friend! :)

Measurements/Conversion

24 Millimeters (mm) = 0.94 Inches (in)
1 Inches (in) = 25.4 Millimeters (mm)
3 Centimeters (cm) = 1.18 Inches (in)

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those banded legs and size may help narrow that girl to species. aspersa easily attains that size. banded legs match aspersa "tiger wolf" as well. granted, up north aspersa tend to be overall dark-brown w/ a slightly thinner yellow median band. so i don't know if it's variation in aspersa or just a different species altogether. is she a burrower? georgicola is a possibility but are often found on tree trunks. or post these pics on bugguide w/ some good ventral shots.

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

ahh...1.18" thanks ;)

not neccessary to measure her only for me. over 3cm - enough to know...

my experience is that most specimens, even of the big sized species, stay under or a tiny bit over 3cm.
only a few individuals of dozens crack this "magic line" distinctly.
what's your experience with this ?

cheers, oli

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i was hoping to see ventral shots as well. haven't encountered aspersa yet. maybe this year...

davisfam

Arachnoknight
those banded legs and size may help narrow that girl to species. aspersa easily attains that size. banded legs match aspersa "tiger wolf" as well. granted, up north aspersa tend to be overall dark-brown w/ a slightly thinner yellow median band. so i don't know if it's variation in aspersa or just a different species altogether. is she a burrower? georgicola is a possibility but are often found on tree trunks. or post these pics on bugguide w/ some good ventral shots.
Thanks for the insight, friend. We seem to both be on the same page as far as a species goes; H. aspersa or H. georgicola. After this last molt, the bands on her back legs (from a ventral view-point) are much more dark and distinct. We'll post ventral pictures by this evening for more help. As far as burrowing, she doesn't exactly "burrow" like our other Wolfiies. She has built a sac-like cocoon with substrate on the underside of a think piece of bark that is in the shape of a "U". Although, she doesn't spend most of her time in her little "burrow" and can be found just 'hanging out' in the open majority of the day hours. We will def. take the "BugGuide" advice and post photo's as soon as possible. Thanks again for the help, it's appreciated TONS! :D

hi,

ahh...1.18" thanks ;)

not neccessary to measure her only for me. over 3cm - enough to know...

my experience is that most specimens, even of the big sized species, stay under or a tiny bit over 3cm.
only a few individuals of dozens crack this "magic line" distinctly.
what's your experience with this ?

cheers, oli
No problem, friend! :D

Our experience has found the same conclusions as yours; most of our Wolfiies bodies have not exceeded the standard maximum size of 1.38in (35mm) long (give or take).