Moving to Australia, with Tarantulas?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I've gotten a job offer in another country. Australia, to be specific.

Is it possible to take our tarantulas, centipedes, and millipedes with us when we move there? Money isn't an issue, we just want to keep our pets.

How would we go about doing this?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am pretty sure you will not be allowed to bring anything to Australia

Regards, Mike

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Mike H. said:
I am pretty sure you will not be allowed to bring anything to Australia
Aren't there tarantula keepers in Australia already? How did they get their spiders there?

azra3l

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i beleive most of em just walk out and pick one off a tree.....

im pretty sure the import of exotic bugs is banned without a license. austraila is very hung up aboutthe balance of its ecosystem after all those bloody rabbits lol.

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
azra3l said:
i beleive most of em just walk out and pick one off a tree.....

im pretty sure the import of exotic bugs is banned without a license. austraila is very hung up aboutthe balance of its ecosystem after all those bloody rabbits lol.
I thought it was toads?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
azra3l said:
Then the question becomes: How do I get a license to bring them in?

AussieTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
TheEternal said:
I've gotten a job offer in another country. Australia, to be specific.

Is it possible to take our tarantulas, centipedes, and millipedes with us when we move there? Money isn't an issue, we just want to keep our pets.

How would we go about doing this?
NO sorry you will not be able to be your pets with you as Australia strict custom law (i no its <EDIT> but the laws the law :( )

the only way you could bring them in is if you had a reason like for study but then after the study is finished the T either go back to where the came from or they are destroyed.

Yes there are T keepers in Australia but we keep Aussie T's none of your new world sp all our T are old world and native to australian far as i know.

check out the sites in i have below they are on Aussie T's.

Jase

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Jade,
I got your email earlier, but will answer here :)

There is one avenue you may try, there is only one loophole I know of in which you can bring your animals here, as your own pets. We do have a clause that allows the import of foriegn animals, so long as they can be shown to be family pets. I would presume you need to show they are all females and therefore incapable of reproduction, perhaps you may stand a chance. I have to be honest though and say I don't know of anyone who has even attempted this, so good luck to you in this endeavour!! Here is the website of the appropriate bodies in Australia who govern these restrictions (The Dept of Environemt and Heritage). I'd suggest you contact them with the understanding that you might be able to import your personal and well loved pets ;)

We have all sorts of hard restrictions, so I don't know much about the conditions you would need to follow...

http://www.deh.gov.au/index.html

Hope this helps :)
Steve

AussieTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
Hi Jade,
I got your email earlier, but will answer here :)

There is one avenue you may try, there is only one loophole I know of in which you can bring your animals here, as your own pets. We do have a clause that allows the import of foriegn animals, so long as they can be shown to be family pets. I would presume you need to show they are all females and therefore incapable of reproduction, perhaps you may stand a chance. I have to be honest though and say I don't know of anyone who has even attempted this, so good luck to you in this endeavour!! Here is the website of the appropriate bodies in Australia who govern these restrictions (The Dept of Environemt and Heritage). I'd suggest you contact them with the understanding that you might be able to import your personal and well loved pets ;)

We have all sorts of hard restrictions, so I don't know much about the conditions you would need to follow...

http://www.deh.gov.au/index.html

Hope this helps :)
Steve
Thats Cool i didnt know about that loop hole, if you are able to bring them in i suggest you breed them right before you leave so that they can make sacks in country;) i know alot of guys who want new world T's (myself included aboreal Ts rock :) )

Jase

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How many do you have? I also think it is close to impossible to import them legally, <EDIT>

azra3l

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
before you go cross border with these bugs remember that the australian government will go absolutley MENTAL if you are caught. they take the balance of their eco system VERY seriously. are your pets worth doing time / getting deported for? if the answer is yes for your own sake i hope you dont get caught.

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
azra3l said:
before you go cross border with these bugs remember that the australian government will go absolutley MENTAL if you are caught. they take the balance of their eco system VERY seriously. are your pets worth doing time / getting deported for? if the answer is yes for your own sake i hope you dont get caught.
I don't really think he could end in jail for bringing one tarantula with him, I would risk it...and if he gets cought he can say "oh, those bloody US spiders, they enter everywhere!" {D

AussieTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
fscorpion said:
How many do you have? I also think it is close to impossible to import them legally, <EDIT>
All parcel packages, mail etc get scanned by customs before coming into australia and if they find and <EDIT> thats not supposed to be in the post it get destroyed and the person who sent it fined some cases jail time.

so try and do it legally.

AussieTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
fscorpion said:
I don't really think he could end in jail for bringing one tarantula with him, I would risk it...and if he gets cought he can say "oh, those bloody US spiders, they enter everywhere!" {D
Um yes you can i think the last one was $10,000 fine and 2 years in jail i think it was a while ago that that was for T blondi slings i think

Jason

azra3l

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i got this off of wikipedia's travel section:

Customs and Quarantine
Australia has a very strict customs requirement when it comes to animal and vegetable imports including wood, and other prohibited goods. This is because Australia is a large and isolated island, and thus far free of many diseases and insect pests found in other countries. All incoming visitors must pass a customs check for these items. No fruits, vegetables, meat or other food products are allowed in unless they are factory-made and on the approved list of imports (eg, chocolate is o.k.)

There is no penalty for declaring illegal goods - they'll just be confiscated and destroyed - but if you attempt to bring them in without declaring them, there are extremely heavy penalties including fines and a possible jail term.

The Australian Quarantine and Immigration Service website [1] (http://www.aqis.gov.au) has more details.
combine that with the first paragraph of this page : http://www.daff.gov.au/content/output.cfm?ObjectID=3E48F86-AA1A-11A1-B6300060B0AA00014

Nature made Australia unique - quarantine keeps it that way

AQIS is Australia's first line of defence, protecting our unique environment against exotic pests and diseases. We inspect incoming luggage, cargo, mail, animals and plants and their products, and provide inspection and certification for a range of exports.
i wouldnt fancy getting caught there. and im no angel.

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
AussieTkeeper said:
Um yes you can i think the last one was $10,000 fine and 2 years in jail i think it was a while ago that that was for T blondi slings i think

Jason
Oh, well, then you have the most severe regulations in the world! I have sent alive beetles, eggs, etc... in so many countries and they always arrived safely...I must admit I didn't send anything alive in Australia, but I have been receiving dried butterflies, and in bigger quantities too...they have never been checked by the customs and I bet someone could put somethig alive inside...I really doubt they can scan all the parcels...but it is good if the controls are so rigid...Australia has a fragile and special ecosystem and prevention is good, though there is nothing you can do when importing large quantities of food, furniture from exotic countries and so on...there is always a chance you get some unwanted guests...that is the case with all countries...accidents can always happen...