Moving Obligate burrowers

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Hey folks, what in your opinion is the best way to transfer obligate burrowers? The spider in question is a 2 inch C. fimbriatus that is in a medium sized vial right now. It made a 3 burrow chamber in the vial it was in, which is almost packed to the top with substrate. I am putting into a small kritter keeper, with substrate to about 3/4ths or the way up (roughly 3.5 inches or so) My original plan was to turn the vial upside down, and let t crawl out into the new moist sphagnum peat moss that's in the new container. However, it seems to utterly refuse to leave the vial. Any suggestions, or should I go with my current plan and just be more patient?

Bill

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd probably just leave the open vial in there and let the spider come out when it feels like it. Of course, it may decide to keep the vial as a retreat :)

Wade

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I usually turn the vial on its side and leave it in the enclosure for a few days. The t will eventually wander out and probably start burrowing in the critter keeper's substrate. Then you just remove the vial.

Your other option is to take the vial, a catch container, and the enclosure and put them in the tub, then dig the t out gently with a chopstick or a small spoon. Eventually the t will run out of the vial and you can capture it and move it to its new enclosure.

I prefer the former method since it's less stressful for both of us.