Moving/Driving FAR FAR Distances WITH T's -- What's the best way to do it?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey all!

I'm going to post this a couple times over the next few days, since i really want to get alot of feedback on this issue, so apologies in advance...

I'm moving from Pittsburgh to Minneapolis (thank god) in about a week -- I'm going to drive it over 2 days, even though itsonly a 14 hour drive, really. Now my question:

What's the best way to take my brood along with me. I have about 25-30 T's IN MY OWN POSESSION -- i've sent some to my father and mother... I'm taking my car and a trailer hitch (damn u-haul)... deli cups? i'm DEF not keeping them in their tanks/cages -- i'mthinking soft substrate -OR- paper towels in some deli cups, at least lessen the stress factor -- what does everyone think?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know ASAP: i'm moving on friday (the 25th?)

thanks in advance,
dave

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm thinking you've got it pretty well handled. I think the crucial thing is your G. rosea Eggsac. You may want to get one of those little heating pads you can activate by scrunching it for not only the Eggsac but the T's as well. You want to keep the box with the deli cups at a constant warm temperature.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey godzilla-

I'm actually thinking about leaving my eggsac (well not mine, my T's) with a friend here in the burgh, or possibly if Nixy might want it down in Battimore? :)

I feel a bit nervous about bringing an eggsac in my truck(s) with me -- i'd rather someone else just take over, even if it is a bust eggsac.

Thanks!
peace,
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and by the way, that extra "t" in "Battimore" is supposed to be there --

:)

thats how my Battimorean friends pronounce that beautiful, beautiful city's name!

peace,
dave

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave

What's the best way to take my brood along with me. I have about 25-30 T's IN MY OWN POSESSION -- i've sent some to my father and mother... I'm taking my car and a trailer hitch (damn u-haul)... deli cups? i'm DEF not keeping them in their tanks/cages -- i'mthinking soft substrate -OR- paper towels in some deli cups, at least lessen the stress factor -- what does everyone think?

thanks in advance,
dave
I'd put them in deli cups with paper towel for cushioning, then pack the deli cups in an opaque rubbermaid-type container with lots of packing material (bubble wrap or equivalent) to prevent shifting. When you stop to eat or sleep, the box can go into the restaurant/motel with you rather than remain in the car (where it's likely to get too hot or too cold. I've traveled many thousands of miles with spiderlings like this, and it works fine. And nobody has to know what's in the box! If anyone asks, I usually just make an evasive comment about how I've found chocolate melts when left in a hot car--a true statement, just not one having any relation to the question that was asked!

Joy

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha -- good call Joy!

Yeah,i was thinking about putting them in a small box with a lot of newspapers between the cups, but bubble works probably works better...

and i don't think its too hot, it's def much too cold for them -- where can i pick up some extra heat pads (i usually get mine from rept.shows) --

thanks
peace,
dave

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey godzilla-

I'm actually thinking about leaving my eggsac (well not mine, my T's) with a friend here in the burgh, or possibly if Nixy might want it down in Battimore? :)

I feel a bit nervous about bringing an eggsac in my truck(s) with me -- i'd rather someone else just take over, even if it is a bust eggsac.

Thanks!
peace,
dave
Give it to Nixy so that I can bother her for a Female Red Phase Chilean Rosehair on Yahoo Messenger. ;)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey man --

you'd love one of my G.rosea's -- "the bitch" -- beautiful deep reds all around...

hopefully some great RP rosea's willcome from my eggsac (hopefully it's not a bust!!!)

peace,
dave

OHYES, GODZILLA - you're the first person with dibbs on any RP rosea's that I have :)

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey man --

you'd love one of my G.rosea's -- "the bitch" -- beautiful deep reds all around...

hopefully some great RP rosea's willcome from my eggsac (hopefully it's not a bust!!!)

peace,
dave

OHYES, GODZILLA - you're the first person with dibbs on any RP rosea's that I have :)
Seriously? For real? Thanks! I covet a Red Phase female more than anything other T.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got nothing more to say about the topic, just that you dont need to post the thread again and again. If you stop recieving answers, just post in it and it will go on top again......

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Gr (genus) --

thats what i was planning on doing -- just replying to the last post to bring it up --

don't worry, i know my etiquette -- i didnt communicate that properly.

but Godzilla-- i dont even know you, but i know you covet a RP rosea more than anything. I'm half thinking of giving you the bitch, if you pay for shipping. She's gorgeous as hell, but uses her fangs alot. She doesn't neccesarily bite, but she does use them as axe picks and they have slipped into the skin a few times... always dry, but she is fangy ...

give me a couple days to think about it? i mean, i've had her for at least 16 years. I got her on my 7th birthday. I'm 23 right now.... she's seen me through some mighty bitchy ex-girlfriends..

OR -- you could move to minneapolis with me and we could share the bitch :) man, i'm totally that desperate for a cool chick

haha
peace,
dave (but seriously, let me think about it for a couple days, alright? the whole, giving-you-my-beautiful-but-nippy-red-phase-rosea thing, ok?)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dave I would be happy to handle your sack for you and if you have any thinning of your lot to do email me with what you want for them and all.

Any and all will be welcome down here in Baldimer. :D
Which is how the other half that doesn't call it Battimore and Battimer says it. LOL.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
Dave I would be happy to handle your sack for you .....

Its like shooting fish in a barrel so I'm not even going to go there!!:D ;P

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dave I would be happy to handle your sack for you
man, its been a while since a girl's said that to me ;P =D

all sex aside -- lemme figure out what i'm going to do (i'll know within a couple days) -- i'll email and let you know...
i gotta see what other people say about the transfer of T's. I'm almost DEF. going to leave the eggsac with you (unless my uncle will take it) --

i'll let you know!
peace,
please keep letting me know other successful ways of transporting T's!
dave

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Gr (genus) --

thats what i was planning on doing -- just replying to the last post to bring it up --

don't worry, i know my etiquette -- i didnt communicate that properly.

but Godzilla-- i dont even know you, but i know you covet a RP rosea more than anything. I'm half thinking of giving you the bitch, if you pay for shipping. She's gorgeous as hell, but uses her fangs alot. She doesn't neccesarily bite, but she does use them as axe picks and they have slipped into the skin a few times... always dry, but she is fangy ...

give me a couple days to think about it? i mean, i've had her for at least 16 years. I got her on my 7th birthday. I'm 23 right now.... she's seen me through some mighty bitchy ex-girlfriends..

OR -- you could move to minneapolis with me and we could share the bitch :) man, i'm totally that desperate for a cool chick

haha
peace,
dave (but seriously, let me think about it for a couple days, alright? the whole, giving-you-my-beautiful-but-nippy-red-phase-rosea thing, ok?)
Wow! That's a long time for a Tarantula to be alive. It states in this caresheet that Life Expectancy for a Rosie is 12 years. But seriously, I was looking for a 3 - 4 Female Juvie or a Sub-Adult Female . Besides, I dont want to part you from your "bitch". ;) :D

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
man, its been a while since a girl's said that to me ;P =D

all sex aside -- lemme figure out what i'm going to do (i'll know within a couple days) -- i'll email and let you know...
i gotta see what other people say about the transfer of T's. I'm almost DEF. going to leave the eggsac with you (unless my uncle will take it) --

i'll let you know!
peace,
please keep letting me know other successful ways of transporting T's!
dave
Well if you're Uncle takes the Eggsac, he'd better give me a Red Phase from that yield. ;)

And Nixy, if you get it, be prepared to send me a good sized (Well 3 - 4 inches at least.) Red Phase. I'll even pay for overnight shipping out of my own pocket. Just one question though. At 3 - 4 inches, does the Red Coloration show?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
12 years my arse :)

No way -- maybe in certain cicumstances, its 12 years, but this old girl's beautiful in her prime years!! She was DEF. born when i was 7, and I'm DEF. 23 now.... =D

and as for the babies (if they EVEN exist) -- Like i said (and i keep my word) - youwill have first pic of the litter/brood/kids -- seriously :)

i have yet to decide the fate of the eggsac. I'm waiting to see if my uncle will take care of it.

trust me :) i say you get the red phase baby, you get em :) Also, i'm still thinking about getting rid of the bitch. She's REALLY nice and just a great eater -- real cool, just kinda fangy -- no worries, she doesnt bite, just uses her fangs as ice-picks!

we'll see though.. i gotta see if i may want to trade or send off some of my collection before i move.... i dunno...

peace,
dave

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When I was at the petstore today they just had their shipment come in.All T's were in small delicups with moist peat(verm would probably work well also).The delicups had holes drilled in the sides for venting and packaged in a styrofoam cooler with sections of egg cartons wedged between delicups to stop the cups from shifting around.The styrofoam coolers themselves also had a few airholes drilled into it along the top edge.Styrofoam cooler should help to regulate the temps.Seemed to work quite well.Hope that helps...peace...

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dave I would be happy to handle your sack for you
Oi gads....
(Turns ten shade of vivid....)
Oookey then.
But anyway...
Give me a holler when your ready Dave.
LOL.
Gads....
(Smacks me hands for being dolts)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so now you're taking the offer back huh? :)

alright seriously, though. I'm going to know in a few days .. I guess the stryofoam thing will work -- still wanting to know if anyone else has done this succesfully and how they did it, though it shouldnt really be a problem since people ship Ts over the country... but still, something about all that bouncing around in a car... gotta me tightly packed..

peace,
dave :)