Mouth rot (red foot tortoise)

Ziltoid

Arachnosquire
Hi I have a 6 month old Red foot whom has a infectious looking rash on his mouth.(I also have a yearling so the husbandry shouldn't be the issue) I've been using polysporin which did help reduce the problem, but its come to the point in which I should contact a vet, but I can't find any exotic vet in my area. so I'm just hoping someone might have some solid advice I could take before the 2 hour drive to have him looked at. thanks in advance for any help.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi I have a 6 month old Red foot whom has a infectious looking rash on his mouth.(I also have a yearling so the husbandry shouldn't be the issue) I've been using polysporin which did help reduce the problem, but its come to the point in which I should contact a vet, but I can't find any exotic vet in my area. so I'm just hoping someone might have some solid advice I could take before the 2 hour drive to have him looked at. thanks in advance for any help.
We had some sliders that came in with mouth rot at the store I worked at. The only thing I ever saw cure them was weekly Baytril injections but that wouldn't be my first pick for treatment as the vet was limited in his knowledge on reptiles. Mouth rot can be fungal or bacterial so I would recommend getting a culture done before you start treating.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry, but you really need to see a qualified vet.
As for husbandry, don't rule that out. I have no personal experience with redfoots, but a husbandry issue can take time to develop into a problem. Post up your details and maybe someone can point out any problems.

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
Sorry, but you really need to see a qualified vet.
It is true...really the only way to run the cultures and diagnostics you need, and you are going to need a vet to get the meds you really require to treat this. Just make sure you speak to a real, certified herp vet. A good place to start asking would be your local zoo.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just make sure you speak to a real, certified herp vet. A good place to start asking would be your local zoo.
This is VERY important. Many vets will "try" to treat an exotic that really know nothing about and only go on knowledge from books in the clinic and previous experience with mammals. It took me a few years to find a good herp vet (and I found three!) in my area. Before, I had to talk them through the treatment. If I didn't know what it was, they didn't either. A mammalian vet is better than no vet at all but I highly suggest you make that drive if you can't find one closer.

Pssh

Arachnoknight
I have had great success with reptaid. It's the only thing that has worked for one of my chameleons that had been battling mouth rot (often might I add.)

Ziltoid

Arachnosquire