moult at the bottom of the burrow

50centipede

Internecivus raptus

My C. dyscolus juvie has been very inactive for the past weeks.
Today I saw her outside of hideout and checked the burrow.
To my surprise, there's a moult at the bottom!
Should I leave it?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel

My C. dyscolus juvie has been very inactive for the past weeks.
Today I saw her outside of hideout and checked the burrow.
To my surprise, there's a moult at the bottom!
Should I leave it?
I try to pull them out when I can as they tend to get gross in my more tropical enclosures, but it really isn't a big deal and if you can't access it without digging up half the enclosure, i'd just leave it. Ts tend to eventually kick out old molts in their own time, anyway.

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
I had a Pamphobeteus and a Poecilotheria sling whose molts ended up hidden at the bottom of their burrows, I spent a few days trying to decide if and how I could manage to get it out without bothering them, and before I had to make any decision they had both kicked the molts out into the open for me to take easily. Give it a few days and the tarantula may solve your problem for you.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Moults don't attract parasites or grow mould on them, so there is no danger leaving them alone. And, as others have pointed out already, they will often take them out themselves at some point.
I always just leave them alone.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Ts tend to eventually kick out old molts in their own time, anyway.
Tell this to my B. albo... :rolleyes: He decorated his burrow with at least 3 moults, and never brought them outside. :p

@50centipede I only pull the moults if they're easily accessible, so I don't have to disturb the T or destroy their web or burrow. If they're unreachable I just leave them there, it's not a big deal. ;)

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Tell this to my B. albo... :rolleyes: He decorated his burrow with at least 3 moults, and never brought them outside. :p

@50centipede I only pull the moults if they're easily accessible, so I don't have to disturb the T or destroy their web or burrow. If they're unreachable I just leave them there, it's not a big deal. ;)
Same with my GBB he stacks them in a corner inside the burrow.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
My A junodi also got a collection of molts at the bottom of its burrow, and this T is prone to bolting (almost escaped 3x) so I'd rather not get it.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
When I gaze inside my Orange Bob’s hide it looks like a communal set up, but only one moves.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Pretty much what everyone else said - leave it.

Fun fact. I have a C. darlingi that has been in the same container since it was ~1" dls mainly because I hate rehousing burrowers. It is now an adult female, and I've yet to get my hands on a single exuvia. I'm sure when I eventually rehouse, I'll find a chamber full of nearly a dozen exuvia stashed away.