Most venemous? Thoughts?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The most dangerous rarantula in the world? I dont know. I would say there are speicies with more potent venom? He is littke overdramatic to And i dont think you should handle them. Nice terrarium.though, but they dont need it moist. I sometimes watch his ant videos though

Last edited:

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
Absolutes, such as, ‘most’ or ‘best’ can always be debated. There’s a commendable aspect of this video though. Ants Canada gets alot of views and he brings up the topic of how the hobby is beneficial for threatened or endangered species. I suppose that topic is debatable too, but one I tend to agree with.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Definitely debatable video title (I was under the impression that Stromatopelma Calceatum is thought to possess even stronger venom), but all in all I think he did a fairly good job on the rehouse and I liked that he brought attention to their dire situation in the wild. Still laughed at the "Woah, she's aggressive!" part, compared to how some of mine go with rehouses it looked like she simply gently poked the feather :p

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
The most venomous is the T that just tagged you.Otherwise, its...whatever.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I like his channel for the most part and I'm a big fan of the vivarium ant farm designs (way beyond the milton ant farm some of us kept as kids). I think he missed the mark on this one and went for a click bait title. If it was 'One of the Most Venomous...' as opposed to the absolute title, I wouldn't have had an issue with it. Maybe one of us should send him an S. cal and ask he make an amended video lol.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I got a few minutes into the video before bailing. Dude knows what he's talking about with ants, but he should stay in his lane.

Some of the most venomous species in the hobby are considered to be S. calciatum and H. maculata. However, this could simply be due to their willingness to bite compared to other species. Keep in mind that there has not been a comprehensive study done on venom potency, so we simply do not know which has the worst venom. I'd imagine that a few Australian species could be worse than either of the species I listed, but between their relative scarcity in the hobby and their preference of flight over fight, we simply don't hear about it. That being said, I'm a believer that the worst venom in the hobby lies in Africa and Australia.

All of that being said, keep in mind that venom isn't the only thing you should concern yourself with. I'd rather be bitten by a pokie over a T. stirmi any day. I'd have to dig it up, but I read a report of a T. stirmi snapping a tendon in a keeper's hand. With fangs as thick as roofing nails and the muscle to back it up, their bite would be incredibly painful not even considering the venom.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I got a few minutes into the video before bailing. Dude knows what he's talking about with ants, but he should stay in his lane.

Some of the most venomous species in the hobby are considered to be S. calciatum and H. maculata. However, this could simply be due to their willingness to bite compared to other species. Keep in mind that there has not been a comprehensive study done on venom potency, so we simply do not know which has the worst venom. I'd imagine that a few Australian species could be worse than either of the species I listed, but between their relative scarcity in the hobby and their preference of flight over fight, we simply don't hear about it. That being said, I'm a believer that the worst venom in the hobby lies in Africa and Australia.

All of that being said, keep in mind that venom isn't the only thing you should concern yourself with. I'd rather be bitten by a pokie over a T. stirmi any day. I'd have to dig it up, but I read a report of a T. stirmi snapping a tendon in a keeper's hand. With fangs as thick as roofing nails and the muscle to back it up, their bite would be incredibly painful not even considering the venom.
I think a lot forget about the "mechanical" bite of NW tarantulas. Granted I wouldn't want to get bit off any of my OW'S but the sheer size of the fangs of the big NW's would be really painful.

cold blood

Staff member
It's my understanding that a Poecilotheria doesn't have worse venom than most old worlds, but rather that they produce much larger quantities than other genera.

I would also agree S. cal and H. mac venom is probably some of the worst....and that Australia may very well have several of the ts with the most potent.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
It's my understanding that a Poecilotheria doesn't have worse venom than most old worlds, but rather that they produce much larger quantities than other genera.

I would also agree S. cal and H. mac venom is probably some of the worst....and that Australia may very well have several of the ts with the most potent.
Yeah, I felt that it was extremely overexaggerated...especially that lunge with the feather, I’m sure that most pokie keepers would write that off as a calm T. If it had bolted or teleported, that would’ve been a completely different story. Also, agreed, pokies are pretty severe but Heteroscodra, stromatopelma, or most australian Ts would be much more potent and dangerous.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have alwaus heard yhat Stromatopelma, Heteroscodra and some of the Harpactirinae such as Pterinochilus and Harpactira, and some australian speicies together with Piecilotheria have the worst venom. Which of those is number one, your guess is as good as mine?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Hasn't Cyriopagopus doriae really messed someone up with a bite? I remember reading something on them a little while back that made them a possible new contender to give S. calceatum and H. maculata a run for their money in terms of venom toxicity and defensivenes.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I just got a female - she threw a quick threat display but otherwise was no problem. Yet another over-hyped "vicious" spider....'sigh'.
Aren't they all, in the end? Just take a look at OBTs. :rolleyes: That being said, I am less concerned about how defensive they can get - rather curious about how toxic the venom really is. All I have is "heard through the grapevine" info, but I'd read one individual passed out after getting bit and his heart had stopped three times on his way to/at the hospital. Very interesting.

Congrats on the new addition though, it's a species I'd love to have myself. An utterly stunning tarantula. :D

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
All I have is "heard through the grapevine" info, but I'd read one individual passed out after getting bit and his heart had stopped three times on his way to/at the hospital
Wow, maybe I better not handle her like I planned.............................................................:troll:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I thought Chilobrachys fimbriatus had the most potent venom? For us humans, at least.