Most Underated Looking Spider

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. cambridgei - Trinidad Chevron
G. rosea - Chilean Rose

These are my pics:

Trinidad Chevron- It gets to be a great size, beautiful coloration, very hardy.
Chilean Rose - Very common, long lived, good size, great coloration, very hardy

Brian F.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Grammastola pulchra, Brazilian black. Mine just molted (finally!) and she is beautiful!

modeus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Phormictopus cubensis, Cuban Gold, got to be one of my favorites, and I dont really hear much about them...

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I saw the Usambara is underrated,
I would also agree with the Trinadad chevron(P.Cambridgei)

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
lots of Grammostola sp.

personally I think E. pachypus is under-rated

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
parahybana w/o a doubt...
You need at least one, and most people go 'eh....'
T

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P. cancerides... young ones are such gorgeous blue... turn into beautiful adults with amazing patterns on the carapace... eat great... grow quickly...

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
GoTerps said:
P. cancerides... young ones are such gorgeous blue... turn into beautiful adults with amazing patterns on the carapace... eat great... grow quickly...
Really? Mine barely eat at all. You're right about the nice purple highlights though.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Brian F. said:
Grammastola pulchra, Brazilian black. Mine just molted (finally!) and she is beautiful!
Ditto a hundred times. So beautiful and SWEET :worship:

I agree the African and alot of OW species are not appreciated like they should be.... it seems like they get a bad rap, yanno? And why? Why I ask?
...the poor little angels from heaven :eek:

Herps&Inverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with the G. aureostriata and the G. pulchra. I'd also have to say that alot of the Avicularia species are underrated. Adding more, the A. anax and A. hentzi are also a set of spiders that have really been put on the back burner as far as beginner species. Same with a few of the Brachy's, esp. emilia and ruhnaui. Those are my picks :)

Sam

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My top 5 most underrated tarantulas in the hobby:

1. Brachypelma angustum - ridiculously beautiful post-molt, lovely long hairs on the back legs, nice petite size

2. Brachypelma vagans - their striking contrast of rich velvety black and glaringly bright red is comparable to no other... well, maybe if I could see a Grammostola iheringhi live and in color, I might have something that could possibly come close to comparing... :drool:

3. Chilobrachys huahini - beautiful coloration, unique shape, great attitude, borderline obsessive webbers

4. Ephebopus murinus - stunningly beautiful markings, fun pissy attitude, unique urticating hairs on the palps

5. Eupalaestrus weijenberghi - I've never seen one in person so don't know what their personality is like; and I'm well aware that they don't always have the bright white coloration but I always wanted one of these after I saw this picture: http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/15B00367KD0B7KAEC2K14122AC3C943A1D4.html

-Kelly

Last edited:

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some of the ones that came to my mind have already been mentioned, E. pachypus (gotta love the bell bottoms), P. cancerides (big and purple highlights, what more needs to be said) and E. weijenberghi (very sweet little T.) But the first one that comes to my mind would be Avic. laeta, one of my personal favorites but I very rarely ever hear anybody talking about them?

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
E. pachypus - I'm surprised this one doesn't get mentioned more often, espically when somebody is looking for a first OW T. Shy and sweet, a little on the skittish side, but not overly so. Love those bell bottoms :D

B. albopilosum - It's a walking bad hair day! These guys are sweet little Ts, with more personality than a G. rosea. Great eaters too. {D

N. chromatus - Don't hear too much about these guys. Very interesting color combinations. Black, white knees and stripes with a bright red butt. Definatly stands out from a crowd. :D A great little T.

Waxen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with kellygirl on the first 2 without a doubt. B. angustum and B. vagans are phenomenal looking T's and relatively nice attitudes. I think my favorite and most underrated T of all is B. albopilosum. Everybody always overlooks these cute little boogers and I just love them to death.

-Jason

smokejuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
G.aureostriata; Eucratoscels pachypus; Nhandu coloratovillosus

G.aureostriata; Eucratoscels pachypus (Tanzanian Stoutleg); Nhandu coloratovillosus (Brazilian Black and White) . All my G.aureostriata have unique personallities and one large dominant female and very attractive T. Does not just sit there. I think is very under rated. Eucratoscels pachypus AKA Stout leg is a great T. I have two females and they are usually busy refining their tunnels and are out on top frequently for your viewing pleasure. Probably one of the few baboons you can get your hand that close two without fang marks and the most unique looking. Nhandu coloratovillosus I also feel is under rated. Little Do I hear about them on the board. They are an attractive T and remind me of that plant on "little shop of horrors". Always letting you know when they are hungry. They come to the end of their enclosure and wait for feeding time which is frequent. They have never shown me any aggression and are easy to maintain.

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
A. Genic. Big spider, isn't a pet hole, good looking and likes to eat--a lot!

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Under rated...

I would say PZB's. These are the sweetest, most docile T's I have kept.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brian F. said:
I agree, Brazilian Blacks are not near respected as much as they should be. They have a full body, beautiful black velvet color, great eaters, nice temperment to handle, and interesting to watch.

They are one of my top five favorite species along with B. smithi, B. emilia, A. versicolor, and A. minatrix. However, the other four are NOT underrated in my opinion they are respected and reveared.