moss from Michaels safe to use for frogs?

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Says on bag that it can for use on Terraniums and crafts. But the thing that gets me is there's no info on bag saying if it's been treated with any chemicals or not. I don't really want to risk saving just a few dollars for the long term health effect of pets.

Just wondering if anyone has use them and what are some opinions on this.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You can ask the manager at the store if they know anything, or take down the name on the package and contact them directly.. they can tell you. Then again, if they can't... go to your local reptile store and get theirs and be sure. ;)

Oh, or buy some moss from your local nursery type place... it's cheaper and the people will be more knowledgeable about its uses.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I personally would not use the stuff from Michael's. You could rinse it out in several changes of water to remove any possible residual chemicals, but why go through the hassle. Like Aneesa said, I pick some up from a local garden supply shop or the garden section of any hardware store. Its cheaper, too. I know they carry it at Home Depot and Walmart for use in hanging baskets,

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Reason I ask is same size or small bag of moss at petco goes for 8-9 while the ones from Miachaels only run about 4.

Sadly theres no contact infos on bag at all besides company name, it was labeled as Hiawatha's peat moss. I tried looking up the company name on net without success.

I also ask a few of the employees in there but they're weren't sure if it's safe for pets.

Thanks for tip about nursery/ gardem store, totally forgot about it.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Peat Moss is really cheap at the nursery... I think I got a 4.4L bag for about $3, and it's organic (so safe for animals)... UNI GRO is the brand. :)

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Says on bag that it can for use on Terraniums and crafts.
No do not use it for anything that must be kept every moist for long peroids. The stuff you seen is called Green moss and is collected for the pacific northwest. It will only mold. If you do not beleive buy it and place it in a container for a week, it turns to a goo.

If you want moss for your frogs and you need it for cheap then go here.

http://www.orchid-supplies.com/orchid_moss.html which in this case does not have it in stock.

If you want good moss only use SPHAGNUM MOSS
thedarkfinder