More rage for a fail LPS

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They have what is labeled, but doesn't look much like, a B. smithi that is about 3/4" in a medium KK on very little sub, with a HUGE water dish for an adult, filled with moss. My face: :eek::mad:

They also want $50 bucks for it. They've got a sale going on, so it'll only be 40.... so I'm going to do a good deed and give this little bugger a GOOD home.

Will post pics once I pick her up.

Discussion in the meantime: LPS things that make you RAGE, even after you've tried your best explaining the proper husbandry multiple times.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
.. so I'm going to do a good deed and give this little bugger a GOOD home.
Kori,

While I understand your frustration the good deed unfortunately would let it sit unsold. I know the human element comes into play here but if it's sold, regardless of reason, they will show on their books someone bought it and most likely will replace it with another specimen and most likely treat it the same.

Sometimes it's better, not for the spider at hand but in general, to let your money speak volumes and not purchase it. Unfortunately it will most likely die but at least they now have lost their initial purchase cost and would think twice now about having selling T's which will solve the problem of them treating them badly.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with the above poster.

I haven't gone into my mom and pop LPS since they had a B. Vagans die and they left it in the cage, on display, for 2 months. If they can't even throw out a dead T, I don't even want to buy dog food there.

There's a place an hour from me that sells a larger variety, for fair prices, and they keep them in fairly decent conditions. They get my oney for Ts and specialty items.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Again,

im all for taking care of these animals, and I put a lot of effort, most than the mayority of the people-I may add...but again, what do people expect at chain petstores?
They are not gonna have ANYTHING near your home setup because onne; Its not for keeping but for sale, and 2: they cant dedicate the time and the money any of us would, since they have hundreds of animals.

If the t has a water dish inside that cage and some substrate, consider the spider lucky.
I refuse to buy spiders from those stores...but please, don expect a decorated cage. Thats expecting too much,

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My LPS does an amazing job for the most part, sometimes the sub is too wet, but always have a hide on plenty of eco earth, water dish if the right size.

Over all very impressed with how they keep them, not so impressed with names and prices though. They're horrible with names.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
An H. lividum labeled as a "stripe knee" tarantula, with a thin layer of cork bark substrate, and a nice big sponge soaking in a tiny water bowl. it looked severely dehydrated and had a little corner of the tank dug as much as it could, which wasn't very much, and it sat on bare tank bottom in that corner with legs slightly curled under.

i didn't get it, as it was overpriced even for a "stripe knee" and I doubt it would be alive much longer

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There are a couple LPSs in here that are actually really good with their tarantulas, and the one that I go to is capable of listening as well. None of them have much variety, but there is not a huge market here and they would special order if I asked. Of course, the prices are more than would be buying from someone here, but they are a store and need to make their profit. The one that doesn't keep their exotics well, I just don't set foot in, or recommend to anyone else.
I love tarantulas, more than I could easily tell you guys. But, I don't see the point in seeking out things to get mad over. Putting an angry comment on a Youtube video isn't going to change anything. Why watch them? There are tonnes of great videos by people like Robc, Talon and many others on this site. Why not watch the good ones instead? If an LPS happens to be one of those that isn't any good, don't give them your business.
There is at least one LSP owner that visits this site too. So instead of raging, I am going to say good job to those that do put in the time and effort for their animals. Keep up the good work and you will make a difference.