More Lm babies!!!

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, my L. mucronatus finally popped! She was in parturition on 04/07/07 at 9:30pm when I woke up for work. When I took a glance she had several young underneath her and some white stuff on her "head". I didn't have time to investigate and I figured it would be best to leave her alone anyway. It seems to be a small brood, even for this species, I've counted 8-10 so far. I suspect this is because my roomates would always turn the air conditioning waaay low when I was gone :mad:. Now all I need to do get the male out (I thought I had a few more weeks so I hadn't removed him yet). Anyway, this is the first time one of my scorps has given birth and I'm just glad she is doing ok. And now for some eye candy......

Washy washy

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice shots...great looking scorp and babies..congrats. What is the egg like object??..:?

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dang that's awesome, how long does it take for scorpions to get pregnant and have the babies?

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Johnisriot: Around 5 or 6 months for this species I think. This one was already gravid when I got her in mid December but comparing her size then and before she gave birth I don't think she was very far along.

Mark Newton:That's just a pebble, I have a few of those and some small bark chips scattered around.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll give you a little hint that will save you alot of time......

Try coaxing the Mother into a deli cup with slightly moist peat before the young separate. If you dont, you will be lucky to find all the babies in the adult enclosure. Trust me, I have had that happen several times before I finally got smart enough to do that. The young of Lychas are extremely small in the first place and very difficult to see hiding in nooks and crannys of cork bark

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'll give you a little hint that will save you alot of time......

Try coaxing the Mother into a deli cup with slightly moist peat before the young separate. If you dont, you will be lucky to find all the babies in the adult enclosure. Trust me, I have had that happen several times before I finally got smart enough to do that. The young of Lychas are extremely small in the first place and very difficult to see hiding in nooks and crannys of cork bark

Thanks, I'll probably just put her in the container I have the male in right now, it's round plastic container with a 7" diameter, I'll find something smooth I can use as a hide instead of the peice of bark I currently have in there. I would like to keep her in the original terrarium as long as possible, so about how long after birth do they start leaving the mother in your experience?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can use as a hide instead of the peice of bark I currently have in there.
I never put a hide in the deli cup, of course the deli cup is in a very dark place so its really not needed

I would like to keep her in the original terrarium as long as possible, so about how long after birth do they start leaving the mother in your experience?
I normally do it after the young molt to 2nd instar but before they start to disperse. Here is how I have been doing it. In the deli cup is a T falconensis but I did my last 2 broods of Lm the same way

This is how you need to keep the young. Note the climb, that is so they can molt correctly. If you have any 50 dram vials laying around that will be perfect. You can raise them to adulthood in one that size. After adult, transfer them to the adult enclosure and you will soon have a nice colony

Best of luck with those little rascals. You will need to find some really small pinhead crickets to feed them. Of course with each molt feeding becomes much easier as they will be able to take larger prey.