More B. smithi questions

forhorsmn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The local Petland store (Las Vegas) has 3 B. smithi in the same tank. They all look to be about the same age (about 2 1/2") Is this a good idea? Or should I go and save the lives of 2 of them?

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's a terrible thing to have them together. How much do they want for them? Did you tell them that if they keep them together they will eat each other? If you buy them they will just replace them with more.

Shadow Tongue

Arachnopeon
If you "save" the tarantulas that you think are suffering, it will be at the expense of the suffering of more tarantulas once they are replaced.

Besides, tarantulas are like organic robots and certainly don't have emotions that you should take into consideration. The more important issue here is not the well-being of two or three specific tarantulas but the business practices of the store in taking care of their stock... And you would be supporting their poor habits by buying from them.

If you want to help, instruct the caretakers on what they could do to improve the safety of their livestock.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Keeping them together is a bad idea, eventually you’re going to have to cue up the mortal combat theme song.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well shadow has a point in that you should inform the people that their practices are wrong for keeping T's but lets not be overly dramatic either:wall: i'd still rescue them...if you have the funds and its not a huge burdon for you to purchase these guys why not:? ???? Brachys are great T's....and smithi's last forever....

information is key when pointing out their flaws...and usually they will change them..i usually frequent most of my local shops sooo they tend to be pretty good at correcting themselves...remember its whats going to make you happy in the end anyways.....

dugh we know they might not have feelings like dogs or cats but i'd be the 1st to tell you mine all have personality and for me that accounts for something.........

Last edited:

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you can swing it, buy the smithis. They are beautiful Ts, and they will be eaten if they stay together. Try to explain proper T care, tho, too. Maybe they will listen, maybe not. I would much rather save poorly-taken care of Ts, than not, even tho some petstores dont care how they're kept.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you can swing it, buy the smithis. They are beautiful Ts, and they will be eaten if they stay together. Try to explain proper T care, tho, too. Maybe they will listen, maybe not. I would much rather save poorly-taken care of Ts, than not, even tho some petstores dont care how they're kept.
You do get how when you do that the store you bought from is just going to buy more. It's a cycle that never will end. The means for an end would be to get the store to change their ways. It's worth a shot, sometimes works sometimes does not, but trying is better then nothing at all.

I'd go broke if I tried to buy every poorly kept T in the pets stores around me and I'd have a ton of G Rosea's.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, I know its a vicious cycle. But the petstores will sell their Ts regardless.
Nope, some wont care about proper care. We all have our opinion on buying from petstores, I do occasionally.