Genus Monocentropus

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, those spiders are quite impressing... i REALLY like the last pics on baboon.de :). Hopefully there will be some available in Montréal soon...

phil.

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
for those interested ot learn more about this species, there was already an article in 2001 about the breeding of this species, it has not just popped up recently... it is in number 2 of Sklipkan 2001... but it is in Czech, good luck!

Take care

Martin

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi

WoW. I will find this article. When I will find it I put there some informations about of this interesting spider. Tarcan thank you for info.

I afraid of those situation when people go to this region and definitly wipe out this nice spider. Looked only species P. metallica, P uniformis ant other Poecilotherias.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
WOW.......verrrrry nice! I hope to see some in the U.S. stock future!

surfer

Arachnopeon
Monocentropus female with larve II

Some new photos monocentropus female with her cocoon

Last edited:

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi

Very nice pics. I love this spider. Congrats to babies. Nice work. :worship: :worship: Have you some babyes for sale?

surfer

Arachnopeon
New photos Monocentropus balfouri

Monocentropus balfouri male and female with larva II instar

Last edited:

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats on that egg sac man ;) are sling already sold ?

zLOST

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ummm, cedrik, i got an email with some killing version of your message :) i suppose you are not that bad, dude :)

BEN-V

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
AMAZING pics ! That is what i call a wonderful breeding ! Congratulations man !!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

BEN

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
Is that a fixed egg sac??? If it is (which it looks like to me), how does the form of the eggsac differ from those in the Stromatopelminae???

Seeing this is very interesting, if this eggsac is fixed, then it may help to answer some phylogenetic problems in higher clades......RCG stated in his excellent work on Xenondendrophila gabrieli (jun. syn. to E.olivacea) that the character of retrolateral scopula on femur IV might be homoplastic (contra: Raven 1985) in the Eumenophorinae/Stromatopelminae in an old world cladogram, however a fixed egg sac might support Raven's original hypothesis.

Even if this is the case, then the medial spination on the metatarsi III/IV seen in the Ornithoctoninae/Harpactirinae/Stromatopelminae that Richard Gallon pointed out as apomorphic may then be homoplastic, perhaps a recent reversal in several "nearly" related groups.

Anyhow, must ask Richard about this..... ;)

But yeah, if you could confirm the fixed egg sac thingio that would be good :)

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also at first glance I can see some fairly strong lateral scopulation on all metatarsi, particularly on leg III. Is this species purely fossorial?? And are there other Eumenophorines that have such lateral metatarsal scopulation??Have any aroboreal examples been seen?? And further, arboreals are usually a lot harder to find, it would not surprise me in the least to find another form of this genus on the same island, perhaps with arboreal tendancies???

Is there any chance this is a cross over species (Eumenophorine to Stromtopelmine) geographically isolated, presenting a possible solution to a question regarding the monophyly of OW theraphosids????? Forgive me, I have very little knowledge of the African fauna, but I am curious...I have questions about all the cladograms presented and published thus far, particularly the more I compare Eumenophorines to Selenocosmiines...I'm also guessing this species does not possess tibial apophyses (contra: West and Ross), perhaps giving further support to such a wild hairy guess???

How does this species geographically relate to the Stromatopelminae (particularly E.olivacea)?

That might be going way out on a limb, but I thought I might throw it out there for comment :eek:

I could get reamed :eek: this isn't quite what the books suggest.....

Steve