mom is caring

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
i am here in oregon luckly my mom who is deadly afraid of spiders is taking care of my t's i dont know how she is doing it but she is i schooled her on all of them over and over i am so overly protective over my t's.i will be home to see my babys soon come wensday i cant wait i worry ohh so much about them,i hope they are happy!

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
That's really great!:)

My mom won't even go in the room with my tiny group. She turned sheet white when I told her
that we started collecting bugs! LOL!:}

...Proud owner of 1 G. Rosea & 4 Millies.

The millies give her the creeps. I always handle
my bugs, it drives her nuts! I think I finally
found a way to cure her (mom's) empty nest syndrome......she doesn't just show up at my house now, she calls to make sure all the bugs are locked up.;P

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL! Tell me about it! We (my wife and sons) can't even bring up the subject of bugs in front of my mom. It will always prompt the most drawn out, over dramatic debate that we've been through way too many times. She is completely convinced that one of my bugs is going to kill (her exact words) someone in my household.
She's also one of the biggest believers and perpetuators of any and every spider myth and urban legend you can imagine. When she hears a bug myth, it falls on her ears as undisputable fact. :rolleyes:
What can you do, huh? Gotta love her though. ;)

Atrax

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When I got my first rosie, my dad tried to pay me to take her back. Now my parents just stay out of my room. My mom doesn't really mind my hobby, but my dad thinks that one's going to get out of its cage and kill everyone in the house. You have to love parents.

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When my mom visits, she scolds me for having "way too many" tarantulas (I have eleven) and scolds more about my having pokies, and then she grabs my flashlight and carefully checks on all the t's anyway. She can't quite approve of them, but she can't deny the fascination either!! :p

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Moms

Hi

Well, my mom came with the an another point of view; "as long there're no snakes in there" she was just fine.:D

She even like my big Chaco, 6 inches, and she got really hooked when I explained the "world" of T's how they,live and so on, although she's a little skittish if any would get loose:)

My dad has allways "warned" me as a kid, :): you don't kill any spiders because they keep flies,and so on away and they (spiders) are helpful.

So spiders in my mind as a kid allways became to be the "helpful" animal. Never had bad things towards them.

In Sweden, I don't know how it is in other places, but you can find a real tiny little spider that they call "lucky-spider", (don't know family ) and if you kill a spider like that it means it will rain and bring bad luck according to old folkloric tradition..

Kenny

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
She's also one of the biggest believers and perpetuators of any and every spider myth and urban legend you can imagine. When she hears a bug myth, it falls on her ears as undisputable fact. :rolleyes:
Isn't it funny how quickly people believe that silly hype but when someone who actually knows something about tarantulas says something, they won't believe it? Hmmm... My mom can't believe I got into inverts and herps, particularly spiders. But it's in my blood. I've been picking up and adopting creepy crawlies since preschool. She's absolutely terrified of spiders, scorpions, and snakes. Of course, she did grow up in Mexico and was taught to fear them... and it's a slightly more rational fear when you actually encounter them in the wild... or in your own home! She's actually been stung twice by scorpions--once when one got in her shoe and once in bed. I'm not really drawn to scorps as I am to tarantulas... but I am fond of snakes. Mommy doesn't know I ever had a snake and she DEFINITELY doesn't know that there is a milk snake lurking somewhere in my apartment... just haven't seen him in a few months! :eek: What momma don't know won't hurt her! ;P

Tangent: How long could a milk snake, hypothetically, go without water? If Levi is still alive, he surely has been munching on the wandering crickets in my apartment but I don't know how he would get water.......

kellygirl