Molting

Big Louie

Arachnopeon
How often do Emperor Scorpions molt. I have had mine for 2 months now and just want to be prepared when they do. They are about 3-4 inches right now. I suspect they are not full grown.

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Louie
How often do Emperor Scorpions molt. I have had mine for 2 months now and just want to be prepared when they do. They are about 3-4 inches right now. I suspect they are not full grown.
As most inverts, can't say all because I dont know everything.... Um, well as they grow larger they usually take longer to get ready for the next molt. And as this is so, they also stop eating longer and longer before the molt starts, this is true for spiders, not 100% sure with emps. And the more molts, the longer the next molt will be. As always, not always. ;P . I believe when mines were that big, it took like 4 weeks or so. But again it depends. They tend to molt faster if given a good surrounding with high humidity and warmth and you can speed it up if you feed them more regularly. Thats what I do. I fed some of my greedy emps like 2 crickets every two days. Their matabolism, omg i can't spell.....slows down, the older they get the fewer they will eat, there is a limit to how far it goes.... Well that is all. Don't worry about the molt, when you feed, just feed each one one cricket if they can handle more give them so. If they can't take the crickets out, crickets are more dangerous that you might be able to believe. Usually the other scorpions won't bother, if they aren't hungry, they will mostly ignore the one molting. There is a trick i believe to tell if an emperor is not molting by looking at it. Mybe its for ballpythons i forgot....darnit. :confused: