Molting?

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
Hi all. Forgive me as I'm new here and having a hard time navigating this page. I have an adult N. Americanus who went under the substrate a few days ago, she hasn't come out. I'm assuming she's molting? She is moving around under there from place to place. But i thought they would become lighter, sluggish, more slow moving before a molt? I didn't notice any thing out of the norm before this happened. I need to change the substrate but I'm scared to disturb her? Should i just leave it? How long should it take? TIA

Coradams

Arachnoknight
I think RDRobbs is refering to a Narceus americanus, not a Necator americanus. Is it a millipede?

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry I thought this was a millipede forum like I said I'm having a little trouble navigating an understanding how this page works

mellow

Arachnobaron
Millipedes usually borrow into the substrate to hide, but they also prefer to molt underground, so it is a possibility that they are molting but they are probably just under the substrate to hide. :D

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
Hi all. Forgive me as I'm new here and having a hard time navigating this page. I have an adult N. Americanus who went under the substrate a few days ago, she hasn't come out. I'm assuming she's molting? She is moving around under there from place to place. But i thought they would become lighter, sluggish, more slow moving before a molt? I didn't notice any thing out of the norm before this happened. I need to change the substrate but I'm scared to disturb her? Should i just leave it? How long should it take? TIA
First off, welcome to the forums! Millipedes usually stink realllyyy bad when dead. So if you don't smell anything, it's most likely molting which means you shouldn't dig it up and risk stressing it out or injuring it! How big is your N. americanus? This is the right thread to post in btw :)

Dagan H.

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
Millipedes usually borrow into the substrate to hide, but they also prefer to molt underground, so it is a possibility that they are molting but they are probably just under the substrate to hide. :D
Well I've had her several weeks now but she's never burrowed, she normally just stays under her leaves and bark, but i suppose you're right. Will she eventually stop being so timid?

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
Well I've had her several weeks now but she's never burrowed, she normally just stays under her leaves and bark, but i suppose you're right. Will she eventually stop being so timid?
First off, welcome to the forums! Millipedes usually stink realllyyy bad when dead. So if you don't smell anything, it's most likely molting which means you shouldn't dig it up and risk stressing it out or injuring it! How big is your N. americanus? This is the right thread to post in btw :)

Dagan H.
Thank you! She is about 3" long. She's very shy but doesn't usually burrow under the substrate. She usually hangs out under bark and leaves!

mellow

Arachnobaron
they might hide less as an adult, but they will probably always like to hide a lot. :)

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
Yeah she still has a lot of growing to do for being a Narceus americanus, so it's most likely molting! Millipedes also take a decent amount of time to molt. Only thing you have to do is wait and keep the substrate moist :) You can always lay a piece of fruit/vegetable out for a day to see whether or not it's molting - if it doesn't come up to munch on some food, it's most likely molting and you should just throw out the food so that mold doesn't grow.

Dagan H

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
Yeah she still has a lot of growing to do for being a Narceus americanus, so it's most likely molting! Millipedes also take a decent amount of time to molt. Only thing you have to do is wait and keep the substrate moist :) You can always lay a piece of fruit/vegetable out for a day to see whether or not it's molting - if it doesn't come up to munch on some food, it's most likely molting and you should just throw out the food so that mold doesn't grow.

Dagan H
She has never been much for food other than her leaves, wood and such. She has never really ate the fruits and veggies

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
Ohhh hahaha I see! I agree with @mellow as well. Millipedes will sometimes just stay under the substrate for extended periods of time; there's a few species that are more "surface active" such as ivory millipedes.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
She has never been much for food other than her leaves, wood and such. She has never really ate the fruits and veggies
There normal diet is rotting wood and leaves, so this is good, ha ha.

Anyway, thanks for the tag @DaganH.
It may be molting, though sometimes millipedes burrow down for a time, that is just part of their behavior. This can be especially pronounced in millipedes that one has recently acquired, as they explore the area close to the surface, and then as they adjust they will dive deeper into the substrate.
Either way I wouldn't be alarmed, just make sure (as you already know by the sounds of it) that you don't dig it up. It may be weeks/months before you see it again, though if it remains buried for more than a few months, something may be amiss.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
There normal diet is rotting wood and leaves, so this is good, ha ha.

Anyway, thanks for the tag @DaganH.
It may be molting, though sometimes millipedes burrow down for a time, that is just part of their behavior. This can be especially pronounced in millipedes that one has recently acquired, as they explore the area close to the surface, and then as they adjust they will dive deeper into the substrate.
Either way I wouldn't be alarmed, just make sure (as you already know by the sounds of it) that you don't dig it up. It may be weeks/months before you see it again, though if it remains buried for more than a few months, something may be amiss.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Thanks so much for the info. So any chance of her becoming more comfortable around me? I know its not the norm, or maybe it differs by species? I've just seen/read about others holding and interacting some with theirs