Molting?

jwdahl91

Arachnopeon
I own a subadult a. avicularia and I've had her for well over a year now and she has not molted a single time while in my care. She's made a hammock of sorts of web at the top of her enclosure and just hangs out there all day and all night. She used to just hang out on the side of the glass, and she had a ravenous appetite but now she seems depressed almost and she only eats about 60% of the time. She is in an aquarium meant for fish so it has a glass top with a door on it which I've fitted with a piece of plastic with holes drilled in it but I sometimes notice a musky, mildew smell when I open the lid to feed her. She's a beautiful spider and my fiance's favorite in my collection. Could someone tell me what the heck is happening with her? Maybe not enough fresh air? Too dry? Too cold? HELP!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Please post pictures of spider and enclosure. Mildewy smell is definitely not good, since that means there isn't enough airflow and too much moisture. These conditions kill Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora species. Action is needed and fast.
It also can be that your Avic is a mature male.
So, please post pics of spider and enclosure.
Do you only have ventilation on the top of its enclosure?

jwdahl91

Arachnopeon
I will post pictures soon as it is 3 am where I am. And yes the only vintilation possible is in the top because the rest of the enclosure is glass. I don't think it's a mature male. No nodes on the palps and she came with a molt when I bought her so I'm almost positive it's a female. But yes pictures coming soon.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yep. Pics are necessary for us to give advice.

One thing I can reassure you of from your post is that your tarantula is not depressed ;)

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
Definitely post pictures as soon as you can, but right off the bat, it sounds like you need more ventilation ASAP. The behavior could be related to premolt (and hopefully that's the case here), but it could also be from living in a too-moist/stuffy enclosure without enough ventilation, which can kill avics. Dry substrate, plenty of ventilation (especially cross-vents), and a large water dish is pretty much all they need humidity/moisture-wise. You can overflow the water slightly every now and then to make sure she has enough moisture, but let the substrate dry out in between. But yeah, other than that, pics would help. Good luck with your T, I hope she's ok. My avic is one of my favorites, as well. ;)