Molting question AFTER searching...

Delailah

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all... In my ongoing paranoia revolving any and all of my B. smithii's upcoming molts, I have a question that is not covered on the search forum (unless I missed something!)

Background info:
Molt history: this will be her 5th in my care
Last fed Friday (2 crickets - offered 3): slow to respond
Abdomen started balding/turning lighter color around June 15th
Substrate: vermiculite
Molting mat: not yet
Temp and humidity: around 75 degrees, humidity around 60%
Sorry for all the above info, just trying to anticipate!

My question, which has virtually nothing to do with the above info:
:confused: There are several obstacles (dirt mounts, water bowl, hide, cage corners) which I'm afraid may prove dangerous to her molt. For example: getting stuck in corner, unable to flip over completely, landing in water dish, etc.

Should I try to slightly (slightly being operative word) rearrange these things to provide a more safe environment?

Or, just leave er' alone? {D

Thanks all!

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would leave her alone. The things you mentioned (water dish, hide, dirt mounds) are pretty much present in every molting situation. Unless she is just so cramped that she has no place to go...she should be just fine. People have had spiders molt in shipping packaging and do perfectly well.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think i would leave her alone. i am actually surprised by my T's who actually seem to web themselves into a much smaller area than what is available and they have all done fine. i also have had a juvie molt in transit during shipping and she was fine too.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
where there's a will, there's a way. T's have been known to molt en route to a shipping destination.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, just leave everything be, the T will pick the best and most comfortable spot to molt.

"Abdomen started balding/turning lighter color around June 15th"... I don't know if you were implying that this means premolt, but it doesn't. The abdomen "peach skin" has to turn almost a jet black for it to be premolt.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
T's moult in burrows fine... ;) Your spider will be fine ... :)

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
molt

Ts can molt successfully in small areas, and probably feel more secure too. Dont worry, the molt should go fine when it happens.