Molting or Molding???

sensei129

Arachnopeon
While feeding my slings last night 1 of my 5 A. avics was on its back at the bottom of its vial. I presumed it was molting as 3 of the others had shed skins in their vials. There was no webbing beneath it and any movement of its legs would be slight (If noticeable at all). It could just be my imagination too. I thought if it were a death curl the legs would be drawn in a little tighter than shown in the pictures below. Any ideas?

Attachments

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The death curl is only the *usual* position you find dead Ts in. I have found them looking very life like beyond the fact that they are, well, quite dead.

If you watch a moulting spider carefully there is always some movement so if you've got a completely limp little sling that is exhibiting no movement, you almost certainly have a sling that has died. Also, you say this has been going on since last night - a spider may lay on its back for as long as 18 hours or so, but at some point the moult itself begins and that is relatively quick (particularly for small slings). If it's still in that position by tonight you can sign the death certificate.

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by sensei129
:?
That looks exactly like moulting position to me. Even if it's not moving, it could still be moulting. I've had spiders lay completely still for hours before actually moulting.

However, if it's been like that since last night then there's a pretty big chance that it's dead. It may have died whilst moulting, hence the non-curled death pose.

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that pic looks like it is moulting to me too..i dont see any problem with that picture...did you take it out or held it?

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From the pic I would guess molting, but as CM said if it is still like that call the coroner. Slings do molt rather quickly, I have seen some of my adult T's lay in that position for 16 or more hours, but not a sling.

Andy