Molting? In a Ball?

MrsU

Arachnopeon
I found my Chilean Rose Hair like this yesterday morning. I thought he was dead. When I went to clean out his cage, he moved. Could he be molting while in a ball? He is still this way 24 hours later. Occasional leg flicks tell me he is still alive.

Attachments

Salt

Arachnopeon
That substrate doesn't look so good. Is that an ICU or it's usual enclosure? Did you give it water? Had you been feeding it? Give me specifics.

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
The sub aperes to be sand. if so you would want to change that. i prefer peat moss. but you can also use coc fiber etc. The pic isnt realy clear but it does apeares to be molting, but if it hass been at it for more then 24 hours you might have a problem. what is the humidity level in the enclosure?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see hooks!!!

Has your spider already got it's legs out of the molt?

If not, your spider was already a mature male and was attempting a post-ultimate molt.

In which case, chances aren't good he'll make it, but possibly.

After all this, you need to do some research on proper cage setup.

Good luck.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Agree with chris, it do looks like hes trying to do a post ultimate molt.

Where did you get the idea from to put it on sand?

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
a better picture would be great and it looks more like kittylitter to me but i kinda see a hook?? maybe?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ditto Chris and Falk. The hooks were the first thing I noticed.

Salt

Arachnopeon
I'm not seeing any hooks, and this doesn't look like a healthy moult. Let us knowhow it goes, aye?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks to me like he's stuck in a post-ultimate molt attempt. If this is the case and he's been at it more than 24 hours now, the prognosis is not good. Figure on the best outcome being that he loses every limb that hasn't already pulled free of the old molt. You may want to consider euthanizing this specimen.

More pictures may be required to get a full bead on this situation and I hope I'm wrong but... I think I'm right. I any case, I hope your lil guy makes it. If he does, come back and we'll all talk about proper cage setup. If he doesn't we can talk about making a good purchase of a new T... and proper cage setup.

Here, read this in the meantime please: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=145454