Molt problems?

x101

Arachnopeon
My A. Versicolor has gone through it frist molt, but I think that we may be having problems. It seems as though he is still attach at the abdomen in on section. It's only been about 1-2 days since he molted but he still seems to be attached. Should I let him go a few more days or should I try to help him? Someone help :confused:

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ive never actually had to do this, but i once read this. what you do is take a q-tip, and get one end wet with some warm water. now you use the refridgerator method to sedate the t, and very GENTLY rub at the area, again very gently. hopefully it should moisten and release the old skin. agian ive never tried this, so as far as i know its completely theoretical.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've not had this problem yet, but I've seen advice from others on similar topics. A lot seems to depend on size (age) of the T. 1 to 2 days also seems to be pushing the limit on letting nature take it's course. I would suggest taking a small paint brush and wetting down the area where the molt is stuck. Some people suggest plain water while others suggest water and a little glycerin. Unless you just have the glycerin on hand, I'd try water and then move to the glycerin if that is not successful. You might also try increasing the humidity a bit as well.

Good luck and keep us posted. Also, if at all possible, pictures would be welcomed to help others with similar problems in the future.

Botar

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
is it an adult or a sling. you said first molt which to me makes me think sling, in which case scratch everything i said about sedating it

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm presuming it's attached on the upper side, if so, no harm will come of waiting a bit more. If it's the bottom side, well, I think you would have already run into problems because that's where the book lungs and anus is.

If it doesn't come off on its own, what you can do is soften everything up a bit either with a spot application of water or glycerine, or just mist the little bugger and make him angry. Then, grasp the old moult with a pair of tongs and gently remove it.

x101

Arachnopeon
I'm really worried, because he's just sorta hanging there not moving. Will he not move and I mean not move at all for a couple of days till the exoskeleton hardens or will he still move around, cus I have this really bad feeling he might be dead. I hope not. This is the first time I've had a sling. Also, I feel sorta stupid, but he looks like it's the very tip of the abdomin. It's not like a big section. I'm starting to take a closer look, and he REALLY looks dead. I'm really starting feel bad. I shook the container a little and he's just flopping back and forth. I'm really feeling bad about this. Please tell me there is good news and he will purposely remain with his legs scrunched up and hanging....

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yikes, if he is not moving at all, and you jiggled the container, he's either feeling very 'not well' or he's gone :(
Try touching him gently with paint brush bristles, or the tip of your finger. I certainly hope that he will be ok

x101

Arachnopeon
I think all is over. When the spider just falls out of his web across his log, I think that means that he's bitten the dust... I feel really bad about this. This has hit me emotionally, even though it's just a spider, but it was my spider damn it. I fed him well, made sure to keep him moist and not to dry. I'll let him stay and hope that maybe he's just out cold for a while, but I doubt it. I would assume that he would be moving and pissed when I tryed to moisten his rear end with a q-tip. This is the end. I feel so bad...

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If he's not long gone, try pokin at him.If he's ded be sure to make a funeral thread...:( :(

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'm really sorry to hear that...it does sound like he's dead :(
I am always completely bummed out when something happens to one of mine, so I know how you feel (as I'm sure everyone here does too).
You did the best you could, that's what counts. Keep your chin up.
Holley

x101

Arachnopeon
He's hella gone. I doubt I have much of a chance. I'm still holding out for a few days, but I'm almost sure he's gone. I seperated with a qtip him and the little part of him that was still attach. I think the molt did him in. It must have been to hard. Maybe it was still to dry for him/her...:(

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry to hear that too. How big was it? I've got a versi sling that just had it's second molt in my care. It is about 1 1/2" now. It is my daughter's pride and joy... if anything happened to it I'd be in big trouble.

Botar

x101

Arachnopeon
It was only about 1 inch. I've only had it for about 3 month. He was always eating well. People thought he was awsome. He had been pretty active. I was pretty sure he was pre-molt when he didn't eat his last meal and didn't come out of his web. Then he molted and I think died...

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very sorry to hear things went South in this case. I've only lost two slings and it's a kick in your tarantula nuts. Watching these guys grow is a lot of fun and joy, and when they just die for no obvious reason it's a let down.

I wouldn't worry about the moisture issue. Frankly, I think the whole moisture/bad moult link is a complete wive's tale. I raised a versi from a 1/2" sling to a 2.5" juvenile and I've never paid any attention to humidity or moisture beyond making sure it gets enough to drink.

If the moult was actually stuck on the very end of the abdomen, that's where the anus is, and if that were blocked, it would kill your sling. Nothing really you could have done beyond jumping in there sooner, but if you did that every time you were worried about something like this, you'd kill far more by spooking them into injury while still "softshelled". So long as your T has been well fed and is well hydrated (which is not the same thing as being in a moist & humid environment), moults should go fine except for very rare occurences.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:( i know how it feels to lose a t. im sorry for your loss, and i feel your pain. im supposed to be ordering some versicolor slings soon from swifts, if you want ill send you one, you just pay the shipping. it will be a few weeks before i order, but if you are interested the offer stands. he always gives a freebie anyway, so i wouldnt be losing anything. condolences

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry about your loss. I also lost a sling this week. I lost my Giant pinktoe, for no apparent reason. I always get nervous when our spiders begin the molting process, because sometimes things do go wrong? So far we have been lucky that we haven't lost any in the molting process. I hope she wasn't your only spider. Take care, Pam

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feel for you. I lost 2 a. avics to molt problems. The first one, Leopard was about 2 inches and couldn't get out of her molt. When I tried to help her a few days later, She was deformed, then dead the next day. The next one was only a .75 sling and appeared to have a good molt, but I couldn't get her to eat tiny crickets a few days later, and next thing I know, she(?) was dead too. I would suggest next time maybe trying to get that molt off within a day rather than waiting for a few, like I did. Mine might still be alive if I had acted sooner but I'll never know :(