Molt duration by genus

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is just me does the GBB genus have a very short pre molt time? because my GBB has molted twice in like 3 months and this past pre molt it didn't even do anything different to show it was in pre molt except stop eating.

and before i knew it, it has its new body and all. doesnt look too much bigger but it molted....just wondering if it only has a short premolt time because of its size. or may pre molt times also vary by genus? could that be possible?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Different species grow at different rates. Your GBB is going to grow faster then a Smithi sling. That's just the nature of how they are. Even within Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens males are going to grow faster then females. And that is by design as well, keeping males from a sac from mating with their sisters.

Not sure if that was what you were getting at but maybe it will help some.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Different species grow at different rates. Your GBB is going to grow faster then a Smithi sling. That's just the nature of how they are. Even within Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens males are going to grow faster then females. And that is by design as well, keeping males from a sac from mating with their sisters.

Not sure if that was what you were getting at but maybe it will help some.
Yeah i think we need to look at nature. People always ask about inbreeding. It sparks hot debates. I think tho if we look at nature its pretty obvious what is and is not a good idea. An egg sac hatches with both male and females. the males mature and mate with a previous generation of females and the females mature several years later to mate with a couple generations later of males. So in nature no female is mated by a male from the same sac. This means that no full siblings ever mate in nature. I also dont think you are going to be able to do this in captivity with out power feeding the female and some how slowing the growth of the male. And thats not a good idea IMO anyway. So I dont think that breeding your female with a male from a differant sac even if its the same mother is going to be a bad thing. I am sure it happens in nature. Either God or evolution has engineered them to work this way, if we stick to it we should have few if any problems.

And back to the Original topic.
I think you will find that faster growing species also have faster premolt periods. Also the smaller they are the shorter the molt cycle is.
Therefore if you have a small fast growing sling , you should have short premolt and faster molt cycles.