moldy substrate?

starseed

Arachnopeon
I switched 3 of my Ts to bigger tanks a few days ago since they are growing up and getting too large for thier critter keepers and everything has been going great. Then I wake up this morning and there is a light white fuzz covering the top of the substrate in all 3 tanks! I had this before in a spare kritter keeper that I just threw my spare crickets in but I thought it was due to the cricket food.

Anyone else have this problem and is it actually mold? Is it the substrate? I use eco-earth expanding substrate and I always have for my tanks. It was just this one batch that I have had problems with.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Let it dry out completely and the mold will go away... no big deal... everytime I've ever had mold in a tank that wasn't from uneaten prey or prey remains, it was from things just being too moist. Stop misting, and let things dry out a bit, all should be well.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If the white fuzz is " silky " then "yes" is it mould... and bad mould. I would suggest drying out the enclosures ASAP. Next time, set the KK's up a week or two before you need them. If you get the mould just nuke it in the microwave or dry it in the oven.

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yea, most of my bricks of eco-earth have been great, but I think they put out a batch with something that shouldn't have been in it because I had one that molds overnight.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've seen that in some of my enclosure.. I remove the portion then let the substrate dry..