Mold on sling??

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hey guys i dont have much time here tonight, so any quick replies would be appreciated. if not ill read ewm tomorrow. i noticed one of my usumbara slings has two small white spots just around its mouth. checked its vile, no mold. you think this is mold? if so can i fix it before it kills my sling? prolly not just grasping at strings here. thanks:confused: :(

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hard to say what it could be without seeing it for myself. Any chance of a picture???

Scott

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
unfortunately what i have for a digicam is no good with closeups, and these are 3/4 slings. i got a better look in the light and im pretty sure its some kind of fungus. all i can think about is galeogirls mold experience. i hope this doesnt turn out like that.:(
ive also noticed a second sling with a white spot by its mouth, although this ones spot is much smaller. ive segregated the two so hopefully it spreads no further. really sucks these are my first slings im just worried ive done something terribly wrong and now they will all die. i hate mold, damn you greenslice!:mad:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I hope it's not mold, but hard to say w/o a pic. It's underneath, or on top of the chelicerae? I'm wondering, since I don't really see the underneath of slings that small...

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
its beneath the chelicerae, in fact its beneath the entire mouth. its not on the moth, it surrounds it on the bottom. two little white dots, then one on another. they seem to be just fine, i put them in new viles last night, and theyve already webbed them up.i just hope i dont come home from work and they are dead.:(

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Separate the two with the white spots out from everybody else, I lost eight slings total before the mystery fungus went away. Oh, and wash every piece of cage equipment you have with surgical scrub or something similar (I used Hibiclens, sold at most large drug stores).

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
things arent looking good. i just got home from a late work day and its 8 pm. all slings are still alive and seemingly healthy. how long did it take to kill yours galeogirl? its dark and ive been up since 5 am. im very tired, but im contemplating going out in the dark cold and cleaning all 15 cages now. im moving friday but im not sure if i should wait that long. i really dont want to lose these slings, worse yet my whole collection. well im wasting time so i guess ill read a couple more posts and get to cleaning.:(

motorteipidpa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that happened to a pink toe ling i had,it had white spots on its legs wich it eventually molted off,but then they came back and it eventually died.i herd that avicularia are very prone to dieing from mold if the cage is not well ventilated.
Tom

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ok now after hours of spraying kritter keepers and aquariums with lysol and hosing them off (including all furnishings and lids) i have yet another dilemma. im not about to fill all these cages back up with substrate when im going to have to empty them friday to move. you think my t's will stress too much over staying in deli cups till then? also, ive now segregated 4 of my 6 slings due to white spots. im not able to move all my uninfected T's out of the room, due to conflicts with my fellow inhabitants. the infected slings are out of the room, but im sure that room must be filled with spores. this sucks. also i was haired by my T. blondi while digging her out of her burrow. what do you hink my slings odds of survival are?:confused:

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The white stuff only seemed to attack my smallest slings and it killed them very quickly. Usually in 24 hours or so. I haven't had any deaths in a few weeks now, but I'm still completely paranoid and trying to figure out how I could reform the budget to buy a HEPA filter.

In the meantime, almost everyone is on paper towels that I change frequently.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i think ill keep mine on moist paper towels too at least till i move. still no deaths yet and i see an impending molt coming in all the infected slings. maybe ill get lucky and they'll shed it off. i hope so. id like to see my first slings mature.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
day 4 of my mystery mold experience and still no casualties. the 2 remaining uninfected slings show no signs of the mold. hopefully i saved them. the 4 infected slings still seem healthy. they have webbed up their newly cleaned viles and 3 of them ate last night. no sign of the mold growing or spreading to any other part of their bodies. thats all for now.