moisture issue?

scarkro

Arachnopeon
what does it mean by more moisture sensitive ?

i have a xenestheis immanis and a theraphosa afophysis
both of which are moisture sensitive what are some good ways to appraoch this issue?

thanx

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tarantula species that come from tropical areas of the world are what we call moisture sensitive... its the same as saying humidity sensitive.

The T's you named need high levels of humidity (80% or more) because thats what they evolved to live in. They get dehydrated quite easily which often proves fatal. Keeping humidity high in a rain forest is never a problem... but in your house can be.

Some helpful tips I cass along to you are the following...

1) Choose a substrate that holds water well, peat moss is a good choice because it acts much like a sponge and soaks up water. Vermiculite is another popular choice, but I have my issues with it.

2) Mist the substrate and sides of the enclosure on a daily basis.

3) Keep a water dish full at all times in the cage.

4) Fungus, mites and mold become a problem when you have high humidity levels. To get around this I choose to have a high amount of ventilation for my cages. This makes keeping humidity levels up a little tricky... to get around this I dampen a tea towel with warm water and lay it across the ventilation of the cage. This allows air to flow while really giving a lot of humidity to the enclosure.

Hope this all helps!

scarkro

Arachnopeon
i am using jungle mix for substrate it holds well i think

im using a beta fish tank with a 1/4 inch hole in it... the tank itself is 5x3x4 with about 2 1/2 inchs of substrate for the pinkfoot

and a 2 1/2 gallon tank with screen top 4 inches of sub for the lesserback is that ok? (what a earth mover she is)
should i drill more holes in pinkfoots tank?

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by scarkro
what does it mean by more moisture sensitive ?

i have a xenestheis immanis and a theraphosa afophysis
both of which are moisture sensitive what are some good ways to appraoch this issue?

thanx
Hats off to you for keeping both species! I hope to have a T. Apophysis someday.

On the question of moisture sensitivity, I wonder if one day this topic will EEEEVER die down... :)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Re: Re: moisture issue?

Originally posted by AlbinoDragon829
On the question of moisture sensitivity, I wonder if one day this topic will EEEEVER die down... :)
Nope ;)

Scott