MM Rosea breeding questions

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Ive had T's for many years and have never really acquired an interest in breeding until just recently.

I recently rescued two MM G. Rosea from two different people. Both are definitely MM, they have the hooks on their front legs...but neither had their final molt in my care..I have two females, both mature..Ive done a lot of research on breeding, but I have a few questions that I cant seem to find the answers for. I have one tank in which I have a plexiglass divider where the male can see the female. The male I have in that tank spins webs and destroys them on a regular basis..but they arent thick like the sperm webs Ive seen in pictures...and they are flat to the ground and not raised on an angle like many Ive seen..but he destroys it often. Was this a sperm web? Or is he just a regular interior decorator?

More importantly are my following questions.

How long after the male makes his first sperm web, does the sperm last on his pedipalps before he needs to make more?

Is there a possibility that with my MM being captive his whole life and never being around a female until now, that he may have never made a sperm web after his final molt in the first place?

After the male has successfully inserted, does he have to make a new web before being paired again each and every time?

Will he go through the motions anyway..even if he isnt loaded?

How often will he make a sperm web after being paired with a female once?

Thanks.

Last edited:

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive had T's for many years and have never really acquired an interest in breeding until just recently.

I recently rescued two MM G. Rosea from two different people. Both are definitely MM, they have the hooks on their front legs...but neither had their final molt in my care..

I have two females, both mature..Ive done a lot of research on breeding, but I have a few questions that I cant seem to find the answers for.

First one is, how long after the male makes his first sperm web, does the sperm last on his pedipalps before he needs to make more?

After the male has successfully inserted, does he have to make a new web before being paired again each and every time?

Will he go through the motions anyway..even if he isnt loaded?

How often will he make a sperm web after being paired with a female once?

Thanks.

The one question I can answer is yes, he will go through the motions even if not loaded. My male did that, despite having not made sperm webs. And my girl just molted out of what I thought was being gravid.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Was this a sperm web? Or is he just a regular interior decorator?
I've got 2 MM's as well, (one being post-ultimate) and he seems to be quite the interior decorator. I've been finding more and more clumped up balled sections of dirt...Not sure but I DONt think they are sperm web remains...atleast not ALL of them.

How long after the male makes his first sperm web, does the sperm last on his pedipalps before he needs to make more?
I've been told by an experienced breeder that it's 2 months.

Is there a possibility that with my MM being captive his whole life and never being around a female until now, that he may have never made a sperm web after his final molt in the first place?
I think it comes down to instinct..I've never heard of a MM not making a sperm web, but they normally do it when there's nobody around (low vibrations) so it would be hard to tell.

Not every insertion is going to be spot on- He could verry well miss. I've bred my Gal with the MM 6 times already..If he doesnt walk straight twards her I would wait a day and let him re-coup after the first pairing. It would help if you put a small portion (even a tablespoon clump...) of her dirt in his cage and vise-versa so they know there's another they're about to meet (or to get the juices flowing....);)