mites

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok i was looking at my H. maculata when I noticed a small speck running across the glass. I got a magnifying glass and looked closer and seen quite a few more. I immediatly took out the T' and dumped the substrate then bleached the tank. then I ran water in it and let it overflow for about 5 min. its airing out now. my question is how long before I put new substrate in, and should I be worried about them being on my T' or even worse could they have moved from 1 tank to anouther.

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well it may have only been a springtail, since there was only one...but you never know....always caution...

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
one thing to keep in mind, mites are round. they look like tiny little ticks. when you see them, normally pale white or black.

however, if they aren't round, they aren't mites. hopefully that helps a bit.

they are evil little bastards though. i keep reptiles and i LOATHE them. they can kill baby snakes and i'm sure they can kill a T.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Mites are evil:mad:

If the pest is on the sides of the enclosure it is most likely mites. Springtales and baby crickets CAN NOT climb.

You did the right thing when you cleaned the tank.

As long as the bleach smell is gone it should be safe to use.

Keep the tank on the dry side and it should take care of the mite
problem.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok I got new substrate in there and a mite trap so they should all be gone.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
ok I got new substrate in there and a mite trap so they should all be gone.
Where can you buy mite traps and what are they, i know they kill mites but like what are they like something you place inside the tank like kinda like those roach killer plastic things you can buy at wal greens