Mites???

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What do mites look like? I have found today that i have some white things (really really tiny) moving around in my C. Meridionalis enclosure. I have also before found them in a scorpion enclosure and also my leopard geckos once. Thing is, when i see pictures of mites, they look kinda fat and round, and these things dont. Not sure if theyre coming from my substrate, but its a mix of bed a beast and potting compost (the organic, ingredient free stuff). I have been told that these come when there is not enough ventilation and it is too humid, which my spider isnt, and my geckos definately werent. Thing is, i cant find any other substrate for terrestrial species, so what can i do? Will they harm my spider??? Like i say theyre tiny, les than a mm in length...

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
do they hop around, and move about the surface of the water in the dish freely? you might have springtails. search the boards theres a hundred threads like this that go into detail about the springtails.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Dessicata

I'm happy with my vermiculite and peat moss mix. Even if you have little ventilation, this mix seems to handle well.

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes, i think they are spring tails, so im gunna leave them for now, seeing as theyre doing no harm/