Mites

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Now that I made the title, "Mites", you're going to automatically assume these are mites, right? I hope not. I have an Avicularia Versicolor sling in a small 50 dram vial. I just noticed these tiny sand-dot-like specks on the wall of the vial, and I want to know if there's any chance that they aren't mites. The specks are only in that area and not moving at all. I remember when I had my friend over, he started screwing around with the vial. Could these little specks be from the Eco-Earth substrate? I don't think I've even noticed until now. I really don't want to mess up my T's container (again), especially not because of a false alarm. How can I be sure they're mites or not? I can't reach the specks because they are at the bottom half of the vial and my Versicolor, despite the stick, made a huge web at the top. That's just bad luck because the other one made the whole web...thing, at the bottom. Anyways, mites or not?

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
YES! Poop it is. Now I have another problem. Well, there's this dead cricket at the bottom of the vial, and...

andy375hh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just switched out my male Ornata into a new enclosure for the same reason. I think its poop It had the white dots all over the piece of cork bark I had in the tank and on the substrate nothing was moving on anything and it was dry. Now my H macs enclosure has it also that will be fun cleaning out her tank.:eek:

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It'll make a new web. Better to mess up a web than deal with the unwelcome visitors a rotten cricket corpse can bring.

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It'll make a new web. Better to mess up a web than deal with the unwelcome visitors a rotten cricket corpse can bring.
absolutely! webbing can be rebuilt, a lot easier than even a modest mite infection can be dealt with, especially since you don't have to do anything to help the spider rebuild. though in all honesty most of my mite experience comes from snakes, and those mites can be an endeavor to rid yourself of. eventually if you have to destroy part of or all of the web the spider will start building it in a better place where you are less likely to keep destroying it. at least thats been my experience.