Mites...

That_Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How do I get mites away from my T"s? Only my Rosie and my 'unknown' T has then. Do I put them in the fridge? I'm going to get different substrate. But how do I get them off my T's? And to top that off, how do I get them off a highly aggressive T? Its even worse the my cobalt. I cant even open its cage with out it getting pissed off. What can I do? All they both do, is itch them selfs and what looks like cleaning. But I dont think it should be this often. I mean they do it when ever its in their cages.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Have you actually seen mites, or are you assuming the behavior you see is a symptom of them? It's normal for tarantulas to stroke, scratch, and groom themselves regularly.

If there are mites visible on the tarantulas, I'd recommend the use of predatory mites, available from biconet.com

If you merely see mites moving around in your vivaria after dark, you can try letting the substrate dry out (for desert species like G. rosea) or changing the substrate (for your lividum). This is a cheaper solution than predatory mites. Also be aware that predatory mites, like the pest ones, need high humidity to operate, so don't dry out the substrate if you're planning to try them.

Joy