mites or springtails?

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
i got a avic leata with some little white things in her in closer there eat the dead cricket remains there not near the tarantula

spring tails or mites?

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Probably mites. Can you give a better definition of them? What do they look like?

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
well there tiny as a tip of a pin there just little circles...again there feeding on remains... is that mite or spring tail behavior?

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I don't know a lot about this; I'm breaking my head trying to think of an answer. Probably mites. I would do a complete cleaning. Wash it out, change the substrate, pick out as many mites as possible, anything you can. I heard some B.S about how they never go away, but they can stay at a manageable amount. Can't help you with that. I would just go a head and clean the container, but you may want to wait for a second opinion.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
thanks for your help! i will probably just clean it out and start a new container :/

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
thanks for your help! i will probably just clean it out and start a new container :/
Its mites!

If they not the whole substrate full, & only by the cricket remains and a bit on the wet substrate, thats ok! when you remove the cricket remains alot of them will be removed aswell! but if the cage is full! then yes deff do a new setup for your T!

Sweet!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Remove all the sub. They will start to feed on the soft spots by the joints on your T when the food runs out. I just picked a bunch off my .5" A. versicolor. I had a .5" T. gigas die yesterday because of the mites. My first mite related death. :wall: It is not known exactly how they kill them but it can. Try your best to keep your slings free of them. They can be a huge problem and once established on your T, hard to get rid of and remove. Let the sub dry out for a couple days inbetween watering or misting. Best of luck. :)

Last edited:

Zman181

Arachnoknight
Isopods are beneficial. I have 4-5 in every Sling enclosure. They eat the remains of the prey items and mite eggs.