Mites On S.Subspinies (Hong Kong)

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
hmm i didn't know that caco. the only thing i could think of is maybe some little air bubble closes them off and they have a limited amount of air? but thats just a guess based on not very much at all heh. :D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea I experimented with putting the centipedes in water. It started when I forgot about a couple of S. polymorpha outside in a terr that used to have crickets in it. One day it rained 4 or 5 inches if I remember right. The next day I went in the backyard and they were on the bottom of the terr in several inches of water. They had been under the water for many many hours, but they survived. I won't leave a pede in water long enough to drown the mites. That's too dangerous. But I have put a pede in water for a few minutes, long enough to "knock it out" to take a closer look at it for some reason. I've done it to scrape some of those mites off too. But I don't have a mite problem anymore. I'm not recommending it:embarrassed: . Probably sounds cruel to some people. But I'll do it if I think there's a reason I need to take a closer look at something concerning the pede. Can't think of a whole lot of scenarios though. Oh, I noticed there is allot more air capacity behind those spiracles than I thought there was. The bubbles going in and out of the spiracles as the pede contracted and relaxed while it was under water was about the size of a BB (9+ inch S. h. castaneiceps). Yea, I typed allot concerning that old thread, ha, as usual. I forgot about that. The polymorpha that where under water had swelled with water. They were pretty tight. I wonder if there was some water intake into their circulatory system through their respiratory system. If so, maybe they can absorb water through their repiratory system to stay hydrated without having liquid water to drink while underground. That would help explain how they could get water out of their respiratory system. ...Pure speculation on my part. Probably something that's already been covered somewhere, I don't know. Just something that crossed my mind:? .

Last edited: